Fred Whitton Route

simona75
simona75 Posts: 336
I'm off to the Lake District for a few days in September and am thinking of doing the Fred Whitton route (but starting in Ambleside rather than Coniston). Obviously due to the distance I will have to fill up bottles and possibly grab some extra food a couple of times. Can anyone recommed any places? I have no doubt that there will be some shops/garages but would like to be able to plan my stops before taking this on.

Comments

• I did it in early June with friends (starting at Coniston) and from memory we refilled water bottles in Keswick, at the top of Honister in the Youth Hostel, Whinlatter Forest visitors' centre, public toilets at Eskdale, and then Dalegarth station cafe (just before Hardknott). I only bought more food at Dalegarth as I carried lots and managed to get by with two 500ml bottles. Not sure if you're going for a time; we only 'pootled' round and I saved myself for Hardknott and Wrynose - you might need more if you're going to 'give it the beans'.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Check out the Four Season's Fred. http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/fourseasons.php
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Recommend places? It's the Lake District, each village/town will have approximately 58 cafes each. You'll have no problem refuelling :)
  • simona75
    Thanks for the tips, never cycled in the lakes before so going to take all day over this and just enjoy the views
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    simona75 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, never cycled in the lakes before so going to take all day over this and just enjoy the views

In that case, you're in for a shock, but hopefully in a good way. Enjoy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    simona75 wrote:

You'll probably need all day over this whether or not you are taking it easy!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • simona75
    Rolf F wrote:
    You'll probably need all day over this whether or not you are taking it easy!

I have no doubts :D Just hope the weather is not too inhospitable
  • Guanajuato
    The Kirkstone Pass Inn is a welcome sight after climbing The Struggle. Or go a couple of miles further to the Brothers Water Inn. The Garden centre in Grasmere is as good as anywhere there, and rather better value. Worth trying some grasmere gingerbread - completely different to any gingerbread you'll have ever eaten. Very suggary and dense, so a great energy source.
    In Keswick, the Twa Dogs and Oddfellows arms are great value, if fairly simple grub.
    The visitor centre at Whinlatter forest has a bike shop and is very popular with the mountain bike lot. So is likely to be bike-friendly.
    Beyond Whinlatter, it gets rather sparse - even most Cumbrian's think its a bit backward to the west, including the ones that live there. :->
    The bakery at Gosforth does absolutely cracking pies. After Gosforth, there's not a lot until you get back to Consiton, so stock up there if you can. Boot is the only place of note I can think of - you might have pity taken on you at the Ratty railway station or pub.
    There is a pub just after the descent from Wrynose towards Consiton, but I think its one of those poncey ones, judging by the number of BMWs, Audis & Mercs parked badly outside most of the time.

If you cycle in the lakes, you've missed your turning, will get wet and may drown. :-D Mind you, you're quite likely to get wet and possibly drown without going in the lakes.
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    Guanajuato wrote:
    The Kirkstone Pass Inn is a welcome sight after climbing The Struggle.
    The Struggle isn't on the Fred Whitton route.
  • Guanajuato
    Always assumed it went that way up to Kirkstone. Holbeck Lane is almost as bad, and the inn will be just as welcome. :-)
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I rode the route of the Fred in June. Took a day off work and headed over to the Lakes with my mate. We started from Keswick rather than Coniston but the rest of the route was identical apart from the last 10 miles or so where neither of us fancied battling with the trucks on the A66 so we took to the lanes that run to the north and south of this busy road. The A66 is the easier option but I didn't think it was safe.

It was possibly the best day out I've ever had on a bike. Lots of tough climbs but we took things fairly steady to make sure we got up Hardknott and just enjoyed the day. Food wise we stopped at a small supermarket type shop in Gosforth (it was like we had stepped back in time about 20 years!!) and another shop in Coniston.

O
  • parky53 wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    The Kirkstone Pass Inn is a welcome sight after climbing The Struggle.The Garden centre in Grasmere is as good as anywhere there, and rather better value. Worth trying some grasmere gingerbread - completely different to any gingerbread you'll have ever eaten. Very suggary and dense, so a great energy source
    The Struggle isn't on the Fred Whitton route.

Neither is Grasmere!
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    Always assumed it went that way up to Kirkstone. Holbeck Lane is almost as bad, and the inn will be just as welcome. :-)

Nah mate, it does go up Holbeck Lane from Low Wood, through Troutbeck then left up the Kirkstone Pass road to the top of the pass.

I've never done it mind, just seen the route on their website, and I know Holbeck Lane as it's part of my commute home quite often. Going to try applying for next years event!