Replacement limit screw

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,464
edited September 2013 in Workshop
A few weeks ago a guy i ride with managed to go into the side of my rear mech with his spokes. the hanger bust, but luckily didn't push the mech into the spokes, and i had to replace the cable. however i've somehow only just noticed that he also took the head off the high limit screw. does anyone know if sram or anyone else would be able to supply a replacement sram red limit screw? it seems the mech is fine other than that, its completely fine as long as i never have to adjust the h limit, or would not having the head on cause any other problems?
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    the screws look like m4 x 15mm, aluminium, the end is slightly conical and smooth, presumably to avoid wear and give even adjustment, you could get normal screws and shape the end with a file or stone

they actually screw into plastic inserts, as long as that isn't damaged a new screw should be fine

otherwise try lbs, they may have a damaged rear mech they can give/sell you the screw+insert from

or you can buy a spares kit, not cheap though, for instance...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SRAM-Cable-Anch ... B003TR0L32
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    just in case anyone searches for this in the future... a guy at my local shop (cliff pratt cycles in hull) gave me a couple he had spare. they can be found at what looks a very reasonable price at carbon-ti.com
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • About £1.50 for a pack of 50 from Screwfix. Take a couple and pass them on......