MET 2013 Kaos helmet. Missing padding?

tc1992
tc1992 Posts: 62
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello

i am very new to this. I just bought this Met Kaos helmet, seems really decent and is very light, but i was expecting it to be padded, all round inside. There is a just the thin pad strips at the top. Is this right, should it have come with padding that i could insert? It's not too comfortable and i thought more padding would be there to absorb shock.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should always try helmets on first to see if they fit your head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tc1992
    i guess it is not meant to have padding then. I just thought it would, haven't seen a bike helmet in years. The size for what it is is fine. Used it yesterday with a cap underneath and was ok for comfort
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    sounds like it doesn't fit then. There's only minimal padding, the shape of the helmet should be very close to your skull.
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    I thought most helmets come with 'padding' that you could stick inside the helmet. Although it's not really padding to absorb shock (that's what the EPS foam does) it's there to stop the helmet moving around/tweaking the fit
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some do, some don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tc1992
    the discomfort was, i think more down to the feel of the plastic directly on my shaved head. I could secure it well on my head, so the fitting is ok. As i said wearing a cap made a good bit of difference as far as comfort goes. although i felt a bit crushed in (on my chin also) when i tightened up, guess it takes a bit of getting used to, did seem to get better after a couple of hours.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    If its crushing your chin, you'll need to loosen the straps! Have you adjusted the dial on the back of the helmet to fit as well?
  • tc1992
    Greer . . yes, was crushing my chin. Seemed like unless i had it tight then it tended to move from side to side quite easily. Adjusted the dial as well. I'm using it on the road as well so i'm just thinking it needs to be as secure as possible, if i got smashed by a car or such.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You could always try buying spare pads for another helmet and fitting them to see if it helps?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    tc1992 wrote:
    Greer . . yes, was crushing my chin. Seemed like unless i had it tight then it tended to move from side to side quite easily.
    Still sounds like it doesn't fit properly.
    Different helmet manufacturers have slightly different head shape in their designs, so it's pretty essential to try a lid on before you buy it.