Garmin Edge 810 problems!

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
edited September 2013 in Road general
My Garmin edge 810 randomly turned itself off about 200 meters from the end of my ride. I tried re booting it but it came up with the garmin load screen, and then said 'loading maps', then turned itself off. After getting home and plugging it in the computer it did the same and i couldnt access anything on there.

After removing the memory card, it booted up fine.

Anyone had this problem before, and know how to fix it?

Cheers.
Andy
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Is it new? Does it have the latest firmware?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    adowling92 wrote:
    My Garmin edge 810 randomly turned itself off about 200 meters from the end of my ride. I tried re booting it but it came up with the garmin load screen, and then said 'loading maps', then turned itself off. After getting home and plugging it in the computer it did the same and i couldnt access anything on there.

Cheers.
    Andy

Bad file on the card, or bad file system. Remove files you want ,format the card, replace files.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    adowling92 wrote:

Cheers.
    Andy

Not specifically that problem but I've had similar, once where the screen froze, I had to reboot, ride detail was still there - that was early on before I upgraded the firmware. I've also had a couple of rides where it has switched off mid ride, again had to restart and the ride details were still there so didn't lose that - I noticed on the latest time this happened that the unit took a long time to find gps after the switch odd and wondered whether this could be linked.
  • I am having the same problem, even sent the unit back and got a new one only to find out it's card problem. Garmin sent out a replacement card.

For future reference how would i format the micro SD card?
    freezing77 wrote:
    adowling92 wrote:

Cheers.
    Andy

Bad file on the card, or bad file system. Remove files you want ,format the card, replace files.
  • I am having the same problem, even sent the unit back and got a new one only to find out it's card problem. Garmin sent out a replacement card.

For future reference how would i format the micro SD card?

I would use something like this kingston-usb-microsd-reader-card-reader-usb-pc-fcr-mrb-l.jpg This lets you plug into any usb port.

This allows you to read the micro sd card as a removable drive from within windows or other os. You can then use the normal system utilities to format the card. In windows for example right click the drive and choose format.