Winter bike/commuter build advice

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking to build up a winter trainer bike I can use for the daily commute so it's going to be redways an pavement all the way. So far I have the following
2004 carrera kraken frame
Formula rims with a 9 speed cassette fused on
Schwalbe big apples
Clarke s2 brakes an some 160mm rotors an mounts

Soo not an amazing start the tyres roll extremely well after trying them on my other bike very comfortable even with the fork locked out. Brake are better than using my feet.

Kit wise I'm looking at a solid fork to keep the weight down an a 1X9 setup unless I can remove the hub an go SS.
Any recommendations on kit to look at? Steerer on the fork is a 1.1/8th straight an the old headset was a semi integrated affair. I've had a nose about but keep getting tempted by silly expensive things for the other bike.

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You could possibly go with some rigid forks to keep the weight down and suit the road riding? OnOne do a few different sets here. Or alternatively go for some short travel RS Recons as they are pretty light will allow off road endeavours if necessary. You can usually pick up a set of Recons for under £100 if you keep an eye on PB and the classifieds here. I have a set of them on my HT currently running at 80mm and with poplock remote which is super handy for commuting.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter is similar in concept except I started with a road hybrid frame.

I use a Marin Hybrid fork picked up off ebay, about 800g and all alloy, plenty of reasonable forks show up on there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.