pf30 bottom bracket cups

ndp268
ndp268 Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i need to replace bearings in my bottom bracket and it is of the pf30 type does anyone know should i be replacing nylon push fit cups as well as bearings and if so specialized specify you use 3M dp420 epoxy packet to seat cups but i cant find any in this country on the web any advice out there would be gratefull

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Yeah, replace the whole unit. You will almost certainly damage the plastic PF30 cups when you remove the bearings, and they probably won't seat back square when you fit new ones. So you will be doing it again next month.
    Only problem is, the UK suppliers are out of the sram pf30 bbs til mid September.
  • ndp268
    I brought sram pf30 unit from crc yesterday thery were showing 1 in stock hope thats true would be gutted if i had to wait till mid september, the bearings came out clean with crank annoyingly as i now need a puller to get them of and only brought park tool bearing remover whats your thoughts about 3m epoxy resin can find 410 in uk but not 420
  • mattv
    I have never seen the epoxy used. If you use it, use only what is recommended. Using any other kind may leave the bb permanently glued in.....
  • ndp268
    spoke to specialized its not neccecary to use m3 epoxy but it helps to eliminate creak there workshops get it sent from states got to get price and availability tomorrow
  • mattv
    Lucky them! The elite store I work in can't get it.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd have a chat with a glue type place - must be something compatible.
    Like a 3M dealer.
    http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ndp268
    i thought about trying 3m UK direct im sure they can shed some light ill find out tomorrow
  • ndp268
    i spoke to specialized or rather fort dunlop cycles who service the bikes and they posted the 3m satchet out by lunchtime did cost me 30 quid though ouch!