KS Lev Sizing Assistance

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've finally sold enough of my tat on eBay to be able to afford a KS Lev. I'm a bit torn between the sizing choices though, either the 100mm (335mm post) or 125mm (385mm post) options. I have enough seat-post showing, from what I have read elsewhere, to run the 125mm drop (apparently there is around 55mm of collar, I have about 185mm of seatpost showing - a bit more to the rails), so I'd be able to slam the post all the way to the collar. The current seatpost (non-dropper) is about 325mm post length, and 350mm to the rails.

However, the bike is a 2012 Canyon Nerve AM and the seat-tube kinks at about 300mm down from the top of the clamp. I'd be a bit concerned that the 125mm post would foul the inside of the seat tube at the bend if it was fully dropped. Would I be better getting the 100mm option and sacrificing a little travel or would I get away with the bigger drop option? Are seatposts usually measured from the rails or the top of the tube itself?

The 100mm option is marginally cheaper but getting the right size is key. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Whats the problem? If you go for the 125mm drop version and keep 185mm of post exposed then you have 200mm of post in the frame which is a good 100mm away from the kink in the frame.
  • mcnultycop
    That's at full height, once dropped it'd be about 80mm exposed, so 305mm in the tube.

I reckon I'll go for the 125mm in any case. It should be fine.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    The lower part of the post doesn't move, so you're fine.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • mcnultycop
    I've ordered the 125mm. Cheers.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The bottom of the post its fixed. when the post is dropped it doesn't extend out the bottom. Think of your forks, when they compress the stanchion doesn't extend out the bottom of the fork lowers.

Edit too late beaten to the answer
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    where did you source your KS LEV? i may need one for the wife's BH Lynx 6 - but i've only 90mm of minimum insert to play with.
  • mcnultycop
    Bike-discount.de
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    cheers - i was looking there - can you let me lnow what the minimum insert (in mm) is on yours when it comes?
    the Lynx 6 complete bike ships with a VV lev, so i assume it will be Ok