Garmin 500 - course gradient not working

Morris Cat
Morris Cat Posts: 26
edited August 2013 in Road general
Can anyone explain why the course gradient might not be showing on the 500... the total ascent, grade etc were working however on the the course / virtual partner screen it was flat on this ride. It was 'hilly' (by southern England standards) and also chucking it down yesterday! Wondered if it was something to do with the way the course was uploaded... sensors perhaps??
Felix pouches (tuna or salmon)

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    If you started and finished at the same place then the course gradient will be 0%
  • Sorry probably wasn't clear in the original post... during the ride the course screen will show this image... yesterday it was flat as opposed to showing the gradient example here...
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Mine does this from time to time, I remember seeing a reason why on the garmin forums somewhere but can't seem to find it now.

All I know is, courses I do on bikehike have no problems.
    Routes I've ridden before then turned into courses have no problems.

Part of the issue may be down to garmin connect being bloody slow at working out the course profiles in the first place and it not having done so by the time you send them to your device?
  • Ahh... that could be the answer. Will have a look at bike hike. Thank you...
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I tend to make them with bikehike anyway as it provides decent profile and pretty accurate elevation data, certainly better than garmin connect on that front. The actual creating the course takes a bit more care though, and there's no loop back/reverse to end features.