13 Specialized Sirrus Elite vs 13 Giant Escape 0

fb88
fb88 Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I am kind of a newbie in selecting bikes, so I would like some help. I bike ride daily and occasionally I will go anywhere from 30 - 50 km. I am looking to increase my bike distance this summer and trying to find a new bike that will help me. I bike mainly on roads but I do trails as well, nothing hardcore most are paved or dirt, some have gravel etc. I would prefer something light and speedy. And also how much of a difference will 700 x 28cc vs 32cc be, is it noticeable in terms of speed?

I have tried and tested some bikes and it has come down to the following 2 which I can't decide between.

http://bikedepot.com/product/13speci...e-172424-1.htm

Or

http://www.sweetpetes.com/product/13...0-175264-1.htm

Let me know your opinion.

Thanks

Comments

• moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    I have the 2012 Sirrus Elite, looking at the specs the down 2013 is a step down in spec, 2012 has the carbon/alloy forks for example (as does the 2014).
    Weird thing here, is your link contradicts this one:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042535

Good bikes though, only downside is they look like an expensive hardtail mountain bike, unlike (for example) with Cannondale and Kona who "tone down" the looks (and thus thief appeal) of their hybrids.

The Giant has the spec and looks more understated, which might be good if you want to keep it.
  • fb88
    That's strange, I guess the CDN version downgraded their parts. I will probably go for the Giant Escape even though I like the Sirrus more. The components on the Giant are better.

And what about the tire size any noticeable performance issues in the 28 vs 32 mm.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    fb88 wrote:
    That's strange, I guess the CDN version downgraded their parts. I will probably go for the Giant Escape even though I like the Sirrus more. The components on the Giant are better.

And what about the tire size any noticeable performance issues in the 28 vs 32 mm.

Can't comment, I come from a more mountain bike orientated background, so these skinny tyres freak me out at the best of times :p
    As far as know it's comfort versus speed.
  • tianuk3
    tianuk3 Posts: 13
    I have the Sirrus Comp (which I am now unfortunately selling) which for me is a fantastic bike, the Sirrus range is very good. I would probably go for the Sirrus Elite if you had the choice or if your budget was bigger go for the Comp.
  • fb88
    tianuk3 wrote:
    I have the Sirrus Comp (which I am now unfortunately selling) which for me is a fantastic bike, the Sirrus range is very good. I would probably go for the Sirrus Elite if you had the choice or if your budget was bigger go for the Comp.

I did want to go for a Sirrus bike but the components seem like a bit of a downgrade compared to the Giant
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 20
    I've got the 13 Sirrus Elite, and I'm very happy with it. Had a similar list to yours, and spent ages choosing. The Sirrus eventually won out and I've not regretted my decision.