140mm fork on Trek ex8

ricky48
ricky48 Posts: 18
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Just would like to say to anyone wanting to try a 140mm fork on their Fuel ex8-I`ve just done it and so far no drama,weird handling etc.I got a cracking deal from Merlin cycles on a 2010 Fox FIT 140 qr15mm and has been the icing on the cake upgrade for this excellent trailbike.My 50mm stem and 760mm Sunline V1 bars now work in perfect harmony with a stiff tracking broad tyred front end and lets this bike rail sweet as.You will not regret this modification.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Might void your warranty though. If you have one.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I bought a 2nd hand ex8 with 140mm forks, I agree it was awesome
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I;ve already had a word with Trek about this, they would not recommend or warranty it. But seemed their concerns were mainly about higher than normal forces and frame strenght rather than handling problems
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    jairaj wrote:
    I;ve already had a word with Trek about this, they would not recommend or warranty it. But seemed their concerns were mainly about higher than normal forces and frame strenght rather than handling problems

If it ever came to a warranty claim then you'd just put the OE 130mm forks back in before contacting them anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jairaj wrote:

If it ever came to a warranty claim then you'd just put the OE 130mm forks back in before contacting them anyway.
    Unless the frame snaps and he dies, in which case the point is moot, I suppose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Yup, shouldn't think he'd be too bothered about it then, lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like you should have bought a Remedy.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    why do people get so concerned about voiding warranties with longer forks?
    if you are unlucky enough to crack your frame put the bloody shorter ones back on before you go to the shop to get it dealt with, it's not rocket science.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have the shorter ones. And 30 seconds on google brings up people asking this question which is evidence for many cases! They ain't stupid!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trek are very good with warranty replacement as long as you haven't done anything to void the warranty. Fuel frames aren't the strongest, I know a few people who have broken them. I guess thats the price for a light frame.
    I would have thought it would make the BB a little high as well and make it drop in to turns.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    b45her wrote:
    why do people get so concerned about voiding warranties with longer forks?
    if you are unlucky enough to crack your frame put the bloody shorter ones back on before you go to the shop to get it dealt with, it's not rocket science.
    You would also technically be commiting fraud, which is actually illegal, as well as lying, which is immoral and means you will go to hell.
    Or so I've been led to believe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trek may question why the frame is broken but the forks are like new.
  • Frame will probably run it fine, if not, the head tube will just snap off - brake & gear cables will keep it all together though so you won't need to search for bits if your riding near trees etc
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Frame will probably run it fine, if not, the head tube will just snap off - brake & gear cables will keep it all together though so you won't need to search for bits if your riding near trees etc

If that happens, you'll be too busy searching for bits of your face to worry about the bike