Need advice buying a bike rack for my saloon car

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I want to buy a bike rack for my saloon car (VW Passat), need some advice and recommendation

I've seen bike racks that fit at the back - normally have a load of 45kg
But... when you read the small print, it says 30kg load max for a saloon

Are there any bike racks that have a load of 45 kg for saloons?

I'm looking to spend minimal as possible
I've seen on eBay for less than £20 - these have a 30KG load - not sure if lower for saloons
Don't mind spending another £20 to buy a good one that holds more weight though

Else... any recommendations?

Before anyone says: I know you need to get a high one as you need to show your number plate :)

Also I thought I'd give more info...
My sons BMW weighs 16kg
I'm planning to buy a Rockrider 5.0 - this weighs 14.5kg small size (without pedals) - I'm a large size
So... I would be going max overweight already!

I'd really like to be able to take a 3rd bike as well - for my youngest son who's 4
(Haven't bought bike yet)

Also... I've looked at the cost of roof racks...
The cost of just the roof racks that will fit the far and everything else associated is around £200
I'd rather find a solution with rear bike carriers

Question: would it be a good idea to take both wheels off and put in the boot??
Just a thought. Or would it be really fiddly to put the wheels back on?

All of this is about going to the local park only :)

Thanks!

Omar

Comments

• lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Bought a cheep ebay one. Scratched my bikes.

Bought a cheap ebay roof system from GG Cycles or something, was a proper piece of crap. Cost 100 for roof bars & 2 cycle carriers. Damaged a carbon downtube of my friends bike and ground through the paint on my down tube.

Sold and bought a saris bones 3 for the rear. Was good for more road bikes that full suspension bikes. With 3 bikes on all was damaged.

Sold and bit the bullet. 2 genuine roof bars on gumtree for 120 including 2 bmw genuine cycle carriers. No more damage but was fiddly and bulky to use. Sold the cycle carriers alone for 120. Bought 2 Thule 591 prorides brand new of the net down from 190. Best purchase on the year. So stable and easy to use.

Or you could just take the wheels of and slide in the back. Bit of foam or something in between to stop scratching.
  • omarm
    omarm Posts: 73
    ouch
    i could take a bit of paint coming off the car
    but... i wouldn't like to have my bikes damaged

taking wheels off seems the only sensible option :(

wondering if i buy from halfords - would i have peace of mind?
    i wouldn't want to buy expensive though - only want to go to the local park
  • as mentioned Thule all the way, go to the thule website and go for the fit guide it will tell you what bits you need - aero/wing bars over square and then bash the part no's into google - might be able to get cheap used off ebay? failing that, price up a tow bar and get one of the thule rear carriers, start around £160ish for the 9502/9503
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Roof bars have proved to be the best as far as Im concerned, cost a bit but last and last.Having saidthat Ive been all over europe with a halfords rear carrier with no problems, just cant access the boot easily.
  • omarm wrote:
    I want to buy a bike rack for my saloon car (VW Passat), need some advice and recommendation

I'm sure you would've said if it were, but if it's a Passat CC I'm almost certain only the legit roof bars from VW will fit it. I can't palce my hand on it right now, but I definitely read that as a moan about the car whilst I've been doing some reading on them.

Just thought I'd mention it.