Newbie needs advice on Rockrider 8.1 2012

anga
anga Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello:

I am new to MTBs and narrowed on Rockrider 8.1
Went thru the threads and they are mostly positive.

The only concern I have is the frame geometry--described as "old-school racing geometry"?

What does this mean? What difference does it make to the posture? comfort?

Thanks

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's not something you want to point down the steep stuff.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • anga
    It is a XC bike and not a DH one--that much I know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Carrera Kraken isn't that dissimilar geometry, it works fine riding downhills, but it's clearly not a Downhilll bike, it is XC biased, you can make it a little more trail friendly with shorter stem and maybe riser bars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anga
    Thanks Rookie.

I will be using it mostly on a mix of tarmac--sometimes unmaintained, gravelled roads, and paths.
    Not concerned with uphill or downhill or rock-jumping.

The frame geometry is described as "old-school racing geometry"

What does this mean? What difference does it make to the posture? comfort? riding long distances?

thanks
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I bought a RR 8.1 a week and a half ago and love it.I only use it on trails and medium rough ground,nothing too challenging,but as i am older now those days are behind me.The forks are incredibly smooth and comfortable and rides like a dream.I did a lot of research on here but choosing and believe i have been served well.

If you do trails like me you will not be dissapointed with the RR,for the money it is bang on.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    anga wrote:

What does this mean? What difference does it make to the posture? comfort? riding long distances?
    Slightly stretched out cockpit, less upright, no more or less comfy, just different, it's what I mave on my road going Hybrid and I relatively frequantly do 40+ miles in a day no issues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    More weight over the front end, fine for most XC but it will mean you'll be making the fork work harder than it needs to on descents. The carrera kraken has a 67.5 deg head angle compared to 71deg for the rockrider, so not that similar in geometry.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • anga
    97th choice: I have no interest in uphill or downhill. May I suggest not changing the focus of this thread?

Thanks Rooky and Davdandy. Owners of this model, please chip in.
  • 97th choice
    Seeing as you don't understand what its description means I was pointing out what it won't be suitable for, and that it shouldn't be erroneously compared to bikes like the kraken.

But seeing as you appear to now know what you don't need, which is a bike that goes uphill or downhill I'm out. Good luck.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I have one and have pointed it down loads of (fairly) steep stuff and its handled it ok. It's on the limit on some of the welsh stuff like penmachno for example, very rocky descents; and I did coed-y-brenin once on it but would probably want a better bike next time I go back there; but at cannock, llandegla etc it does fine. Reliability wise I can't fault it either.

It has quite narrow bars as standard, which I have changed to wider ones; better for trails, and the saddle is quite hard too so maybe not the best saddle choice for long distances. I also changed the clip in pedals you get with it for flats.
  • As above the bars are quite narrow changing them to wider ones was a massive improvement (Although it rides fine on the standard bars) on mine, I point mine down the downhill sections sometimes in local quarry's and its fine :)
  • anga
    Thanks danlightbulb and DannyJames.

To reiterate, will be using it mostly on a mix of tarmac--sometimes unmaintained, gravelled roads, and paths.
    Not concerned with uphill or downhill or rock-jumping.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It doesn't mean anything really. There is nothing strange about the angles at all, is middle of the road.
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    I was under the impression it wasn't so much frame geometry, but the longer stem and shorter bar, which was a little more retro compared with other modern XC bikes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But these are easily changed if you don't like them. I use a 635mm bar and 90mm stem.