Giant Defy...1, 2, 3, 4, 5

prando
prando Posts: 47
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I'm aged 63 and keen leisure road cyclist. Do a couple of trips a week, weather permitting, normally doing 40ish miles each time. I have a Carrera Virtuosa owned for 4 years which has accordingly done a few thousand miles. Replaced tyres, retaped bars, new pedal set and saddle. Gears needing a bit of attention, so am now wishing to treat myself / upgrade.

I like the Giant range. "She who must be obeyed" has one ! The local shop have the following which I am looking at
2013 Defy Compact 1,2,3,4,-and 5. Prices £999, £799, £679, £559, £499 respectively. I may indeed look at 2nd hand.

Please forgive the simple question, but....
What is the difference between them all ? How is the differing prices justified ?

Thank you

Paul

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Basically they all have the same frame and its groupset that makes the difference.
    Also the 1 has bb30 and carbon seat post.The 5 does not have carbon fork.
    From memory that's about it.Btw I have the 4.
    To get exact specs the giant web site will have all the details.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Quality of the components is the difference

I too have the 4. Toyed with getting the 3 but the 4 felt more comfortable.

Next bike is likely to be a 1.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    getnoticed wrote:
    Quality of the components is the difference

I too have the 4. Toyed with getting the 3 but the 4 felt more comfortable.

Next bike is likely to be a 1.

eh ?...that dont make sense !....3's better components should make it more comfortable ?!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    elderone wrote:
    Basically they all have the same frame and its groupset that makes the difference.
    Also the 1 has bb30 and carbon seat post.The 5 does not have carbon fork.
    From memory that's about it.Btw I have the 4.
    To get exact specs the giant web site will have all the details.

The one has a shimano press fit BB86.. not a BB30.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    You might want to see if they're having a sale of any kind (the Twickenham store is) as the season draws to a close - I ended up with a Defy 3 Composite last October (reduced to £999 from £1249), having compared it with various other brands but also a Defy 1 Alu for £899.

I test rode them both and the carbon one felt a little bit sharper handling than the Alu one, even though the 3 had Tiagra and the 1 had 105 (next groupset up).

I've been very pleased with it indeed - 3500 miles ridden since then - just trying to get a more comfortable saddle sorted out at the moment.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    If you shop around you'll find most of the 2013 range discounted now. I've seen the Defy 2 with Tiagra for £600, I'm thinking of picking one up myself as a winter bike.
    I've got a 2012 Composite 1, which I picked up this time last year with a £400 discount. I love it and definitely recommend the Defy range.

Take a look here

http://www.pedalon.co.uk
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • If you can afford it go for the 1 or 2, you'll get the 10 speed cassette and a 105 or tiagra level groupset, which should prove perfectly adequate. I think the whole range is good value & often gets recommended, it's very easy to go for a cheaper version & then end up spending more money (or wanting to spend more money) upgrading, the cost of the higher priced bikes is negligible when spread over the time you'll end up using it, and every ride will be slightly better for it (in theory!).

The point is when I have gone for the more expensive option I have never ended up wishing I'd saved some cash, but when going more 'budget' I have often wished I had spent a bit more in the first place, and there's a long time in the saddle to contemplate the difference.

Good luck!
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I ended up getting a Defy 2, was looking at the Defy 3 but then found out the local Giant store had there sale on, the Defy 3 was all ready sold out in the size I needed so ended up going for the Defy 2 as with the discount worked out less than what I was going to spend on a Defy 3 at the regular price. Though I do think most of the 2013 models have sold out now specially in the popular sizes.
  • prando
    prando Posts: 47
    Thanks all. Great advice as ever. I'm pleased to see that overall the Defy range is well thought of and recommended.
    I'll let you know as and when I complete my purchase.
  • I have just bought a 2014 Defy 1, tis lovely and so much nicer/easier/faster than my previous hybrid.

Based the spec choice on lots of forum info and what I thought I might do mid to long term. I'm not much of an upgrader (be it cars, bikes or anything else) so went for the best spec I could get on C2W to start with.

Very pleased so far
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Saw last night that the composite 3 2014 is going to be only £1099 which is a bargain I reckon.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    the 2013 defy 0 can be had for £800
  • I would always go for the best bike I can afford as it's cheaper to get the better gear included at the point of sale than to upgrade later
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Cupras wrote:

From where?
    Got a link?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    City Boy wrote:
    Cupras wrote:

From where?
    Got a link?

cant find it now

heres a 1
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... 13-p207234