Advice needed quick!

Rigger/frigger
Rigger/frigger Posts: 44
edited October 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I am very new to mtb, that new I haven't got a bike yet! I recently went to whinlatter in the lakes and completed 2 red runs and I have been bitten by the mtb bug!

I know this topic has been done about a thousand times but I really am in a pickle about what are the best components for my budget. I hired a cube analog at whinlatter and as I have nothing to compare it too I thought that was the best bike ever. At the minute I am seriously considering the cube analog as that's about my price bracket. Everyone suggests looking at the voodoos and boardmans, I am just worried about the whole halfords thing (I bought my young sons bike from there and they couldn't even see the wheel was buckled, even though it wouldn't do a complete rotation by hand), am I just been naive there?

I am basically asking for recommendations for bikes around the 500-600 quid mark, also some advice on what models of forks, brakes and gear sets I should be looking for/avoiding.

I will mainly be weekend ridding of decent trails and easy trails with the family.

Any help will be greatly appreciated in the quest to source that first decent mtb!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start with the sticky at the top of Buying Advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Personally in that price bracket and new i would go the rockrider 8.1 from decathlon not seen a better specked bike for the price do a google for reviews there pretty good. I am biased though as it was what i went for after looking at my options.
  • cooldad
    Good choice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have looked at the rockrider 8.1, is it £200 better than 5.3.
  • my advise would be buy a voodoo hoodoo
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... o-12-46194
  • Do you think I am just being a "snob" avoiding halfords?
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Do you think I am just being a "snob" avoiding halfords?
    Yes! Halfords may be hit and miss with their staff but they have some decent bikes,get your lbs to check out a bike if you get it from there if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.
  • So is my choice between hoodoo voodoo, cube analog and rockrider 8.1? Some of my pals who are big into mountain biking have never heard of rockrider?
  • cooldad
    So what? It's Decathlon's own brand, like Carerra is Halford's. You get lots of bike wothout paying for the name.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So is my choice between hoodoo voodoo, cube analog and rockrider 8.1? Some of my pals who are big into mountain biking have never heard of rockrider?
    Then they should loose weight as that is the only genuine big in MTBing thay can genuinely be if they haven't heard of them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Do you think I am just being a "snob" avoiding halfords?

Yes, assuming you can use an allen key and spanner, to correct their shoddy PDI setups. Bad staff, but they sell plenty of good bikes.
  • So is my choice between hoodoo voodoo, cube analog and rockrider 8.1? Some of my pals who are big into mountain biking have never heard of rockrider?

As said earlier Its Decathlons own brand and reviews don't come much better than this (last years model now but not much has changed as far as i am aware) ,

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 1-10-39599

Also Decathlons customer service seems to be brilliant i was happy with mine so when i was looking for a road bike went with there Triban i fancy one of there sussers too :mrgreen:

EDIT: That is the 2010 the toras are now recons and the juicy brakes are now elixr etc not adding any more i sound like i work for Decathlon :oops:
  • Guys thanks for the info, looks rockrider is the best bet.
  • Danny James,
    Are the changes for the better on the rockrider 8.1 or not?
  • Guys thanks for the info, looks rockrider is the best bet.

o dear, well i gave you my advise. good luck :lol:
  • Not ruling the voodoo out, I am going to halfords at the weekend to see them!
  • any updates ???
  • I went rockrider 8.1. I am loving it!
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Don't forget that Decathlon now guarantee their frames for life. Go to their website and register your bike

JC

PS: The 8.1 was my first MTB, still got it despite the fact that I have upgraded to a full suss and use it once in a while. Can't fault it at all for £499
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Guys thanks for the info, looks rockrider is the best bet.

o dear, well i gave you my advise. good luck :lol:

The hoodoo is a decent bike, but the rockrider 8.1 is definitely superior, but then it's also more expensive.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500