Neat little idea

Kowalski675
Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
edited August 2013 in MTB general
http://saggle.co.uk/

I won't be buying one (doesn't do anything that a couple of seconds mental arithmetic and a ruler / vernier caliper doesn't do), but still neatly thought out, all the same.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    edited August 2013
    You're right, that is a great way of taking money off the mentally challenged.
  • Just ordered 2 one for each stanchion
  • Kowalski675
    Just ordered 2 one for each stanchion

You'll need a third one for your shock, if you ride a full susser... :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    You're right, that is a great way of taking money off the mentally challenged.

There's a lot of those about - several on this forum... :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £8 for another rule when I can use the one I already have!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What sort of retard needs one of them?
  • Kowalski675
    What sort of retard needs one of them?

You'd be surprised how many people can't work out simple percentages, even with a calculator.
  • Kowalski675
    Or maybe if you want to carry it in a pocket, if you fancy experimenting with sag out on a ride.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Maybe if you're the spanner man for a pro team and you've got six bikes to set sag on based on that mornings requests from your riders?

A pro mechanic knows how to set sag without one of them
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    http://saggle.co.uk/

I won't be buying one (doesn't do anything that a couple of seconds mental arithmetic and a ruler / vernier caliper doesn't do), but still neatly thought out, all the same.

I agree. I wont be buying one either but what a neat little product. Can see them on bike shop counters by the till now. I'd like one but wont be spending on one. Ideal for out on the trails messing about with sag.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Both my rockshox forks have sag markers on the stanchions.
    How simple do you have to be to not be able to check your sag with just the o ring? Its not difficult to estimate the percentage.
  • Kowalski675
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Maybe if you're the spanner man for a pro team and you've got six bikes to set sag on based on that mornings requests from your riders?

A pro mechanic knows how to set sag without one of them

I think he was meaning it would save time, compared to doing six sums and using a ruler or vernier.
  • Kowalski675
    Both my rockshox forks have sag markers on the stanchions.

My Monarch shock does, but my Sektor forks don't.
    How simple do you have to be to not be able to check your sag with just the o ring? Its not difficult to estimate the percentage.

There's a lot of people out there who genuinely couldn't work out a percentage if you gave them a calculator.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Its not difficult to estimate the percentage.

Still need to measure sommat though, as you can't assume that the entirety of the exposed stantion is 'usable' travel. It's about making life easier, no one's saying there are no alternatives!

I think they're neat, not something I have need for, but can see they'd be good in a shop environment where you're playing with lots of forks/shocks.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Nice, one for the mother in law, I can put it in the drawer along with the tie rack, belt tidy, compass/pound coin holders and other 'useful items' that she's given me for christmas over the years....
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • rockmonkeysc
    Who needs to set sag that accurately?
    You set it to the recommended percentage and then ride and adjust until its right.
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Well I'm having one coz' I'm crap at maths, I just like how quick it is to sort out :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Who needs to set sag that accurately?
    You set it to the recommended percentage and then ride and adjust until its right.

But plenty of folk will want to measure their starting point with at least a vague degree of accuracy (hence RS printing the gradients on their stantions), which requires the use of a measuring device of sorts. This device serves that purpose. It's not hugely expensive, it makes things a little easier.

I'd put it in the category of chain master link pliers - not something I have a use for, but I can see why it exists.
  • The Rookie
    ScareyJ wrote:
    Well I'm having one coz' I'm crap at maths, I just like how quick it is to sort out :)

Yeah your right I mean 25% of 100mm travel is a really toughy.....I mean it's just dividing by 4, or for those who really struggle divide by 2 twice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    You'd be surprised how a non mathematic brain struggles with even basic maths.

It seems blindingly obvious to a mathematic, but can be far from obvious to someone non-mathematically minded.

You can probally tell literacy wasn't my ace.
  • The Rookie
    The trouble is that device only helps if you have a rubber band, if not, it doesn't!
  • pesky_jones
    you could use a cable tie temporairly
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's probably an iphone app to do the job. There's an app for everything else.
  • pesky_jones
    Soon there'll be an app for riding, so we won't even have to go outside.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    does exact sag really matter though to anyone but pros?

I just look at it and go "yep, that's about right" :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    welshkev wrote:

No. Pro riders know how to set up suspension properly. Sag is just an approximate starting point.
    A lot of DH racers will change springs or pressures to suit tracks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is not being a mathematic professor though - this is infant school maths!
  • pesky_jones
    supersonic wrote:
    This is not being a mathematic professor though - this is infant school maths!
    Once again, what may seem incredibly simple to some may be rocket science to others. And saying that this level of maths is so elementary that anyone can grasp it only furthers my point.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    welshkev wrote:

No. Pro riders know how to set up suspension properly. Sag is just an approximate starting point.
    A lot of DH racers will change springs or pressures to suit tracks.

Ok then, does exact sag really matter to anyone? :wink::lol: