Bearing cones, replace or scrap the hub?

slindborg
slindborg Posts: 98
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I'm about 4months into ownership of a new bike, been regreasing the hub bearings atleast monthly.
Upon doing it today I found the right cone on the back end is pitted and a bit manky, but the balls and hub race are totally fine. Do I simply replace the cone and balls or go nuts and go through the faff of a new hub + wheel rebuild?

Its a shimano rm35 rear if that makes a difference. I know its not the best in the world but hey.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easiest would be new cone, but they should last years, and years, and years.
    Does it actually feel rough to ride?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    4 months in and 4 rebuilds??? Do you ride underwater?

I think you may have tightened them up a bit tight or something. Replace pack with decent waterproof grease, don't touch for 6 months?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not touched the Shimano on my commuter in 3,400 miles.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's not rough to ride, nor simply spinning up on a stand.
    Its had a good dose of waterproof grease today since winter is coming :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Parts and codes here - I'd get a new cone or buya new hub and transplant the internals over.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 753753.pdf
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    16mm wrote:
    4 months in and 4 rebuilds??? Do you ride underwater?

+1.

What hubs are these and what is your service procedure? I'd expect a hub serviced that often to be perfect after 4 months.
  • Just did a strip /inspect /regreased monthly just to be sure they stay well lubed... Especially after last weeks ride which took in a very very very long sandy ford :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So was the water in the ford over the axle? I suspect you are over maintaining it which can be as bad as under.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Way over the axels :lol:

Probably is over maintained. I shall leave it alone now :)
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Assuming the hub has any sort of contact or labyrinth seals then it shouldn't need service anywhere near that frequently; mine go for years without service. Since you say the cups in the hub are not pitted, replacing the hub is a waste of time and money unless you want something else. You should replace the pitted cone(s) *AND* the bearings, as while they might not be visibly pitted, they probably are. Ball bearings are cheap anyway, so use good ones and do not even think of using bearing retainers - loose balls only.