Saddle setback

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I have though a system of trial and error worked out that currently I like have the tip of the saddle about 7cm behind the centre of the bb.

On my steel bike that kind of works OK as I have a fairly decent layback post.

However on my carbon, despite using what I think is a setback post and a charge spoon, the maximum I can get back is 6.5cm.

From an earlier thread, someone is running 6.5cm and another 10cm - but with such a dearth of setback posts and saddle rails not being that long, how is everyone managing to get their seats in the right position.

Edit, am going to do a poll to see what people are running.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the height of the saddle and angle of the seat-tube - comparing this dimension on a 64cm frame with a 48cm one doesn't really tell you anything. If you want more setback, get a layback seatpost?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I guess I was being naive, in that I assumed that most road bikes nowadays had an angle of around 73" , with minor variations. Also, sticking with the naive mode, I guess I assumed that most saddles would be the same height above the rails.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Depends on the height of the saddle and angle of the seat-tube - comparing this dimension on a 64cm frame with a 48cm one doesn't really tell you anything. If you want more setback, get a layback seatpost?

Got to disagree with you on this. The nose of the saddle is where you put it and doesn't have anything to do with frame size or seat tube angle. The OP is talking setback here(horizontal dim. from CL of BB) not height(vertical).