Bought my first bike, no idea if its worth £160?

jasonwong
jasonwong Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I just bought a bike, I liked riding it. I have no knowledge of bikes, can you guys tell me if I spent too much? I got it from a shop, they said it was good value, and I took their advice. I would be riding it to work mainly, 4 miles a day.

Marin Bobcat Trail £160

http://imgur.com/a/nXd1O

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like it, is worth it. Enjoy it, looks like a good runner for your intentions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Better than anything new for the price and Marins ride really nicely. I wouldn't call it cheap, but neither is it a rip off.
    You'll need some chunkier knobbly tyres though, for when you get bored with commuting and want to try some more exciting stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For shop bought (so backup and issues fixed) it's about the right price.

Will be a reliable solid bike for a short commute.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jasonwong
    edited August 2013
    Am I able to change the height of the handlebars on this bike, I have googled it and don't know.

I also think this bike is slightly too small, the guy in the shop increased the saddle height, but when riding sitting down I don't feel like my leg is straight enough, there is too much bend in the leg.

Also, the brakes on the back are rubbing the rim, is this an easy fix?

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    I'd take it back and get them to sort these things out. Bar height may not be adjustable. Experiment with saddle height (but don't over extend the seatpost, there are markers on it).
  • jasonwong
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the reply!

I was looking to raise the handlebars because I am not used to leaning so far forward, and controlling is harder for me this way due to the extra weight.

I noticed the seat post had no marks on it at all, i think its a really old one they put in, but the seat itself is a new replacement (which is actually too hard for my backside).

Is this normal for a new bike or am I being too finnicky?

I'll wheel it back tomorrow for fixes

Thanks
  • supersonic
    As long as seat post is in 3 inches miniumum, usually all is fine.

Brakes can rub a bit - but this stuff is adjustable, I'd expect it to be good from the off though.

New bars or stem needed for extra front end height I would think.
  • Last question I promise! I also have a bad feeling the front wheel is slightly bent, I can hear some friction when I am wheeling bike every revolution?

Thank you for your help
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pick front end of bike up, spin wheel, easy to check.

Friction may be that rubbing back brake.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.