Bike Lock Advice

sgtpepper1969
sgtpepper1969 Posts: 61
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
What's the best bike lock for under £30? Any advice please

Comments

• Nothing. At least you will have £30.00 towards your next bike .
  • Unless I am returning to my bike within minutes I always use 2 locks, one chain and one D-Lock type.

Total value of the locks is circa £150 and so far no problems.

It depends on how much you need your bike. If it's vital to you, then spend £50 on a good D-Lock. If not, chance it on a cheap lock.

At a push for £30 you can get an OK Abus or Krytonite D-Lock, but these will only secure one half of your bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a cheap POS from Ebay to use if you plan to lock it anywhere. And a lock for £1.99. Works for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What's the best bike lock for under £30? Any advice please
    Get your bike insured, and use whatever lock the insurance company recommends.
    Sadly, if someone really wants to steal your bike, they'll steal it, no matter what the lock is.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've recently bought a kryptonite M18 to lock the bikes up in the garage. if I take it to work it goes in the office.

if you look at reviews and videos of how easy cheap locks are broken you wouldn't leave your bike outside :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    POAH wrote:
    I've recently bought a kryptonite M18 to lock the bikes up in the garage. if I take it to work it goes in the office.

if you look at reviews and videos of how easy cheap locks are broken you wouldn't leave your bike outside :lol:

Unfortunately it doesn't end there, either. I read recently about someone who'd had their garage broken open in order to steal some bikes. Granted, that's not opportunistic thievery, but bikes were still stolen.
  • poah
    its locked to something that can't be moved or cut very easily.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    POAH wrote:

I remember seeing an article around a year ago where the bike the thieves wanted was locked to a garage wall. They took half the wall out to get it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Angry Bird wrote:
    POAH wrote:

I remember seeing an article around a year ago where the bike the thieves wanted was locked to a garage wall. They took half the wall out to get it.
    Bingo, that's the one I was thinking of.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    POAH wrote:
    if you look at reviews and videos of how easy cheap locks are broken

Not just cheap ones, most expensive ones too.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Any lock can be defeated given the right tools & enough time. Plus the best locks are pretty heavy and not nice to carry around. If you really have to leave your best bike exposed then the best thing is to make sure your bike is insured and use something on your insurers approved list so at least its covered for replacement should the worst happen.
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Ci24#t=288

what do you want the lock for?
    locking up at home in the shead or garage? motobike chain secured to a good solid structure. and extra locks
    locking up for 5min while popping in to the shop? a small chain and lock or D-lock and try to keep a eye on it
    or for leaving all day at the station etc? get a cheap 2nd hand bike and lock with a small chain and lock or D-lock

i prefer a padlock and chain i use these
    chain http://www.amazon.co.uk/MasterLock-8019 ... chain+10mm
    padlock http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Lock-M15 ... rlock++15m
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A few years back a mate had his 750 Ducati nicked out of his garage. They broke into the house while they were at work got his wifes car keys and the garage keys moved the car out of the way of the garage doors. Cut the mahoosive chain with an angle grinder locked the garage doors moved the car back into place and buggered off with a lovely bike. they didnt even realise they had been burgled and the bike had been nicked till his wife went to open the kitchen door and the lock fell out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    stubs wrote:
    A few years back a mate had his 750 Ducati nicked out of his garage. They broke into the house while they were at work got his wifes car keys and the garage keys moved the car out of the way of the garage doors. Cut the mahoosive chain with an angle grinder locked the garage doors moved the car back into place and buggered off with a lovely bike. they didnt even realise they had been burgled and the bike had been nicked till his wife went to open the kitchen door and the lock fell out.

not going to happen in my house 8)

5672434231_41da28df60_z.jpg
  • Been looking at the onguard brute with cable & I also have a thick heavy duty chain,my bike won't get left any were for very long,15 min outside the local supermarket maybe,I will need a decent rucksack to put my locks in though
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    I wear my chain around my waist. Dont even realize its there.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    john2002 wrote:
    I wear my chain around my waist. Dont even realize its there.

Till you fall off and land on the lock.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    stubs wrote:

I've heard of a Hardly Dangerous being lifted over a car to get it out of the back of a garage - those are not light bikes, lol.