Stripped pedal thread in Crank arm

karakoram
karakoram Posts: 38
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I was riding along yesterday when the non drive pedal felt strange and when I stopped I felt it was moving inside the arm. I assume the pedal threads are stripped. However I have extracted the arm but cannot actually remove the pedal from the arm. I have a spanner and have tried turning it but it just spins in the arm but does not undo. Any ideas how to get it out? I want to reuse the pedal as they are nice ones. Also will any spare arm such as those on ebay fit as I would rather not buy a whole new set? The crank is a Shimano Alivio, the pedal a Wellgo MG1 and the BB a UN55 68x113mm for reference. Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try turning it the other way.......

Any sqare taper arm of 175mm will fit as long as the alignment of the square is the same (some have a point towards the pedals, others a flat), have a few spare myself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi I have tried turning it both ways and it will not undo. I have also hit it with a rubber mallet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lever it out as you turn it, sometimes tilting the threads will get them to grip as well, I presume it's spinning with almost no force needed?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi I finally got it by turning it at an angle like you said. Luckily the pedal threads are ok and I cleaned out the metal shavings in them and have refitted it with a spare crank I had. Thanks
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you werent worried about butchering the crank arm you could have made a couple of cuts one either side with a hacksaw making sure you didnt go all the way through to the pedal threads, then a whack with a soft hammer to break the end of the crank off. I did it once when some berk had butchered his crankarm threads then glued the pedal in with 2 part liquid metal.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap