Jumping

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi

I would say I'm a good rider and quite confident

I've recently been taking jumps and I'm enjoying jumping on the trails
I understand the technique and can use it on takeoff but I seem to loose my balance in the air..

This then leaves me with an awkward landing as I'm off balance, can you give me any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It'll be your takeoff that's causing you to lose balance mid air. You need to go off the ramp straight and make sure you're not weighting one side of the bike more than the other, particularly at the handlebar.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Eyes front at all times - always look for your landing, the body seems to autocorrect itself through preoccupation
  • ej2320
    It'll be your takeoff that's causing you to lose balance mid air. You need to go off the ramp straight and make sure you're not weighting one side of the bike more than the other, particularly at the handlebar.

That sounds like it could be the problem, I'll try used that advice thanks
  • ej2320
    Eyes front at all times - always look for your landing, the body seems to autocorrect itself through preoccupation

Thanks I need to work on spotting the landing as well then
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah I can't express eyes front enough
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You may not even notice where you're looking the first few times but repeat a jump you can do and eventually you'll realise where your eyes are pointed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Eyes on the landing as you approach the lip, doesn't matter if its straight or not. Arms relaxed, knees bent, pedals level and favourite foot forwards. Finish pedalling well before the jump. Weight in a neutral position, fairly central.
    If you are unstable in the air its because you are taking off badly.
    If your not sure how fast to hit a jump, either follow someone good or hit it faster than you think you should. A smooth landing is a sign that you have got it right.
    Jumps should always be fun so relax and enjoy the ride and remember, no one gets hurt in the air.
    Just watch out for cross winds as you go bigger.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    A smooth landing is a sign that you have got it right.

Pain and blood is usually a sign that you may have got it wrong... :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc

No, thats a sign that you need to keep trying. Bones poking out are a sign that you have definitely got it wrong.
  • ej2320

No, thats a sign that you need to keep trying. Bones poking out are a sign that you have definitely got it wrong.

I've never come off when jumping, just bad landing which eventually will lead to a crash

Excellent advice guys, I need to find somewhere to practice
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I used to do something similar. I had some lessons a while back and the fault was identified as me incorrectly pulling on the bars instead of pushing into the transition.
  • ej2320
    jairaj wrote:
    I used to do something similar. I had some lessons a while back and the fault was identified as me incorrectly pulling on the bars instead of pushing into the transition.

I think I'm doing that bit right, the sort pump and push through the bike on take off

Would you recommend lessons btw?
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you want to learn from the best Chris Smith does lessons down in Somerset, not sure where you are but its worth it. No one knows jumping better than Chris.
  • pesky_jones
    No one knows jumping better than Chris.
    What about the masai? or kangaroos? or masai kangaroos?
  • ej2320
    noticed there some coaching at cannock chase, I might look into that
  • rockmonkeysc
    ej2320 wrote:

Not really any proper jumps there though. Even on th DH tracks they are pretty crappy
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Not really any proper jumps there though. Even on th DH tracks they are pretty crappy

I don't think they use the actual trail for the jump coaching they have some separate stuff

Problem is there's no where really close where I can practise
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ej2320 wrote:
    Would you recommend lessons btw?

Yep it was very useful for me. Obviously it depends on your tutor. But I had a one on one session with Clive Forth, who is very highly recommended by me. We covered all kinds of stuff from making sure my single track skills were correct and then moved onto manuals and finished off with a bit of jumping.

I didn't come away magically an awesome rider but I had much much greater understanding of how each skill is performed and how my movements effect the bike. I also know to analyse my own mistakes and self correct my faults. So when I'm in the park practising manuals and I don't get it right I know what I did wrong and know what I should be doing.