Creaking possibly headset!

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I blame Evans but...

The bike is 6 month old and been nothing but problem after problem. Finally got them all ironed out, or so I thought. I was at Stainburn and when climbing getting this dreaded intermittent creak. Nothing too bad though. The week after I was on my local loop and right from the word go it was badly creaking, even on the flat. Or thought we presumed it was the headset.

I took the headset out, removed the bearings, cups, seals etc and degreased. Reassembled with more grease. I did not notice any rusty bearing or mucky water. All seemed ok. I lost one bb though, i tested it and seems fine. But will it do any harm having one missing?

I have tested the bike lightly in the street and no noise as of yet.

Suppose my question is;

Was it the headset, what else could it be in this area?

Also on gaining a new one I like the Chris King ones or Hope, just due to looks and writeups. But mine sits inside the steerer tube. If I fitted one of these, would it make the front end higher altering the geometry aswell as onbiously lengthing the steerer tube?

Comments

• If you were to get a new headset you can just buy a zero stack that fits inside the headtube so it will retain the same geometry. I have a hope one and its been fine, sealed cartridge bearings as well so no messing with ball bearings.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Don't blame evans, creaks are standard with a poor headset.. I have a cheap headset and boy does it creak even after stripping

It may seem basic but are you sure it's the headset? A lot of the time a creak travels through the frame so sound like its somewhere it isn't

Check you bars and stem
    Tighten all the bolts to the correct torque
    That sometimes helps
  • lbalony
    ej2320 wrote:
    Don't blame evans, creaks are standard with a poor headset.. I have a cheap headset and boy does it creak even after stripping

It may seem basic but are you sure it's the headset? A lot of the time a creak travels through the frame so sound like its somewhere it isn't

Check you bars and stem
    Tighten all the bolts to the correct torque
    That sometimes helps

Thanks, i am not sure but I will soon find out if getting out tomorrow. I dont blame Evans for this but everything else has been their fault. I now realise the importance of using your LBS. I have checked and tightened/torqued everything at the front end at the same time. Probably a mistake as if it is cured, could not be 100% that it was the headset.

What about the missing bb? Worry or not?
  • lbalony
    If you were to get a new headset you can just buy a zero stack that fits inside the headtube so it will retain the same geometry. I have a hope one and its been fine, sealed cartridge bearings as well so no messing with ball bearings.

Can you get a zero stack for the bottom but showing for the top? A bit ghey but like the look of them?
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I blame wiggle
  • If you were to go for a hope headset you could pick and mix it , so you could have an exposed top bearing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the missing bb matters....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I bought a second hand bike & had a really creaky headset (along with everything else). Anyway everything got dismantled & cleaned & lubed.

The headset was full of WD40. It also had a few missing ball bearings from the supposedly sealed cartridge. Anyway that all got cleaned & greased, replaced the bbs. Sitll had a really bad creak from the headset. Eventually I replaced it all with new bits.

Still had a really bad creaks from the headset. :(

Eventually, the only bit I hadnt done was the saddle. I squirted some 3 in 1 oil int the saddle where the bits of metal go into it. Hey presto no more creak. It wasnt the damned headset afer all!