Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Oh ok, so QR refers to the size rather than the system

I have 15mm QR so I wasn't sure

Thanks
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    As CD said, QR is 9mm. I guess your 15mm has some sort of qr skewer, sun tour have something called qloc I think. Not sure on rs & Fox etc, it's usually a bolt through.

There is an old thread about the difference in stiffness and taper steerer etc that's probably worth a gander
  • ej2320
    Thanks, I have RS and they call it Maxle

I understand my confusion now, It's a QR skewer which I have just realised is not a quick release but can just be undone without tools

I understand the stiffness benefits and tapered and headsets and stanchions but just got confused over the sizes and terms in axles.. :/

I assume this also applies to the rear..
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ej2320 wrote:
    Thanks, I have RS and they call it Maxle

I understand my confusion now, It's a QR skewer which I have just realised is not a quick release but can just be undone without tools

Aye, it's ironic that a 9mm "quick release" skewer takes longer to use than the 15mm Maxle. I have the 15mm Maxle on my new bike and it's a great bit of design - v clever.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ej2320 wrote:
    what's the difference between QR and 15mm front axel

QR = Quick Release. It uses a 9mm axle which slots into the drop outs. It also has a skewer that goes through the middle of the axle and clamps everything together.

15mm as the name suggests is 15mm axle. But each manufacturer has there own way on how the axle is actually secured to the fork or frame. eg the Rock Shox system uses a 15mm axle that threads into the fork drop out and a cam system similar to the QR skewer keeps it tight and stops it unscrewing. Each manufacture also calls it a different name eg QR15, Maxle etc ... So you might not be able use a Rock Shox Maxle in a Fox fork, while they both are 15mm axle the threads might be different and fixing mechanism on the maxle won't engauge correctly with the dropouts on the fox fork.
  • ej2320
    jairaj wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    what's the difference between QR and 15mm front axel

QR = Quick Release. It uses a 9mm axle which slots into the drop outs. It also has a skewer that goes through the middle of the axle and clamps everything together.

15mm as the name suggests is 15mm axle. But each manufacturer has there own way on how the axle is actually secured to the fork or frame. eg the Rock Shox system uses a 15mm axle that threads into the fork drop out and a cam system similar to the QR skewer keeps it tight and stops it unscrewing. Each manufacture also calls it a different name eg QR15, Maxle etc ... So you might not be able use a Rock Shox Maxle in a Fox fork, while they both are 15mm axle the threads might be different and fixing mechanism on the maxle won't engauge correctly with the dropouts on the fox fork.

great explanation, thanks!

I understand the rear as well now!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And it's axle......or do you have a maxel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.