Cotic Soul build

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are getting too many punctures on those NN's get the Schwalbe equivalent of Black Chilli, I think its like Snakeskin or something, ran those for ages on my HT and had no flats what so ever. Expensive though.
    As posts go, that is one of the worst, Black Chilli is rubber compound, snakeskin is puncture protetction and nothing to do with compound, but I'm sure Rick already knows that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you are getting too many punctures on those NN's get the Schwalbe equivalent of Black Chilli, I think its like Snakeskin or something, ran those for ages on my HT and had no flats what so ever. Expensive though.
    As posts go, that is one of the worst, Black Chilli is rubber compound, snakeskin is puncture protetction and nothing to do with compound, but I'm sure Rick already knows that.

What he said ^^^

Black Chilli is the compound, like Schwalbe's Pacestar, trailstar, vertstar and gatestar compounds. Conti's version of Snakeskin are the protection versions of their tyres, which most admittedly do use the black chilli compound, but afaik the Black Chilli compound is not the same across the board and differs according to the the intended use of the tyre, for example a black chilli race king will have a slightly different compound mixture than a trail king black chilli.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I'm sure you've got your reasons, but why no run them tubeless (unless you are already)? My snake skin versions have been great apart from when I let them run dry. Last time it happened I found a nail in the tyre which had managed to seal.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    fat_homer wrote:
    I'm sure you've got your reasons, but why no run them tubeless (unless you are already)? My snake skin versions have been great apart from when I let them run dry. Last time it happened I found a nail in the tyre which had managed to seal.

This, love tubeless had no issues with mine, other than leaving the sealant in there for too long and letting it dry out :oops: Keep on top of the sealant though and they're great, no punctures at all yet when I have run tubes on either bike I've had punctures on pretty much every ride. Tubeless is the way forward for sure.
  • They were both tubless but both got snake bites to the sidewalls that the sealent would not seal so I had to out tubes in. Once they are worn out I will put them back to tubeless.
  • Got 16 miles into the ride today before my first puncture so things are getting better 8) No walk home either as I took my camelback and 2 spare tubes with me today :lol: . Going to have a mess with the fork next, the bike has been hung upside down for a few days and it was super plush, could maybe have done with a little more air in it. Oh and I am going to swap the chain rings to a double with the TA Chinooks I have from a old build, should be 100% spot on soon. Its such great fun to ride, never fails to put a big smile on my face.

It was a great day for a ride:
    567D0B6A-CE8E-48EC-9065-4614C21769FB.jpg

http://app.strava.com/activities/107743688
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Ever since I changed the fork I've just not been happy with it. After todays ride on the cotic I decided enough was enough and stripped the fork down. It turns out at 80-90mm of travel the FIT damper had not been filled correctly and was bottoming out. I've adjusted the oil volume in it and it now gets full travel with no bottom out and I am sure will be far, far nicer to ride now.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I put some of my new favourite grips on the Soul, Easton lock-ons in the larger size, some Easton Havoc carbon bars I had nocking around, specialized tyres front and rear (purgatory and a butcher), double front chainrings and went out for a ride, the first ride on it since I sorted the fork out! All I can say is the love is back in a massive way, its flying now and feels even better than it did when I had the Rebas on when I first built it.
    903D8833-3E9A-46CC-877B-CC59B6A1DCBD.jpg
    B6451CC7-682F-4981-AF2B-07725BEFDF9B.jpg
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Much better with mud!
  • Treated the soul to a Hope seat clamp with integrated reverb hose guide. If she is lucky she will get some 34's or Pikes before the winter set to 130/140mm.

Best most versatile bike I own and my bike for tomorrow 35/40 mile ride.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Treated the soul to a Hope seat clamp with integrated reverb hose guide. If she is lucky she will get some 34's or Pikes before the winter set to 130/140mm.

Best most versatile bike I own and my bike for tomorrow 35/40 mile ride.

Where did you get the Hope clamp from? I can't even see it mentioned on their own website.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I've got one which I got from ukbikestore. A very quick Google also says Tweeks and Westbrooks have them in stock :D

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/40 ... clamp.html
  • Mine came from 18bikes. I was in Hope and saw they had them in so grabbed one.
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    This may be a dumb question :x

Im guessing the reverb needs the hose removing to fit through the hope guide?
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    nope it is a split ball design so can be done in situ. Just fitted one to my five.