Comment on town technique ?

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Ok - opening myself up to hate mail, ridicule etc etc ...

Quick background - my commute is country roads - I head away from town and to a smaller one so I'm used to riding country A roads & country lanes. I'm not so used to riding through town.

But I had to go and pick up my car - which involved a ride through town - and I videoed it ...

I'm sure there's plenty that I rode incorrectly - and techincally I jumped a red light (5:10) although the turn right was on and as the rail crossing barrier was down there was nothing moving on the left ...

Anyway - (if you can be arsed) have a look through and comment on where I went wrong and how I could've ridden better. I'm not going to take anything personally (well try not to) because I know it wasn't perfect - it'd be nice to hear from the experience of those town commuters ... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZruYysE0A

btw - nobody hooted me/carved me up/complained/shouted/hollered and I had no reason to complain at anyone (even at the ASL - it's just heavy traffic)

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    your not using cycle lanes, do you not realise how many kittens were killed to make them cycle lanes......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • slowbike
    mudcow007 wrote:
    your not using cycle lanes, do you not realise how many kittens were killed to make them cycle lanes......
  • It was actually 3 per metre.

Anway; too long, didn't watch, some editing please ;)
  • slowbike
    ok - yer - a bit more on them "cycle lanes" ...

the first one - it's rubbish - the road surface isn't very even and there's loads of crap in it. Plus - to be riding in there means I'm already subservient to the road traffic - it's a 30 limit and I'm doing >20 ...

The one at the first one way system - I don't go in there out of principle ... the cycle lane must give way at every junction ... bolx to that!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im only playing about the lanes, i dont generally use them around here because.

a. they are full of glass
    b. they are painted red
    c. you have to give way at ever side, junction etc.

much safer to stay on the road
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • slowbike
    It was actually 3 per metre.
    Ah ... blummin accountants ...
    Anway; too long, didn't watch, some editing please ;)
    yer - well I haven't got a good editing program - tried Windows Movie Maker ... pile of cr4p ... crashed ..

I'll have to redo it at home on the Mac - at least I've got a decent vid editor there! Should be able to improve the quality somewhat too ...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Er, I noticed you stopped for a red light at about 7 minutes in. What gives? You trying to give us a bad name here?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Where's the town? I was expecting a town.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Where's the town? I was expecting a town.
    This post contains traces of nuts.