Chamois Crème

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Do you apply it before each ride, or only for the long rides? Last 2 rides I have felt some discomfort down there, I ordered a tub of the chamois crème from Wiggle, but was wondering if people just apply it no matter what
Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Anything over 40-50 miles for me.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Apply directly to the skin as much as you feel you need it. For me anything over an hour on the bike I'll reach for the Assos cream.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Anything over 50 miles.

However, if you let off it will feel like you have shat yourself.
    Insert bike here:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    mpatts wrote:

True this. Add some energy gels into the mix and it's a devastating combination...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I used to use it on longer rides, but now it's exclusively for 12hr and 24hr TTs. Your nether regions will eventually become acclimated.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I quite like the cooling sensation, so lather up before breakfast most days whether I'm riding or not. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I didn't really feel any major discomfort until I started doing really long audaxes. Decided after my first 300 km ride that I would use it on my next 400 km ride. Then forgot to and got a few indications that maybe I should have done. Used it on a 600 km audax and was most pleased with its effects. After that didn't bother on a 200 km ride and suffered. I think the effects of the longer rides battered my saddle regions into submission.
    I'm quite lucky though that I don't seem to suffer very much from saddle area pain I think. It's not cheap so this pleases me.
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 20
    mpatts wrote:

I'm having difficulty reading the rest of the forum, now that I've just sprayed half my tea over my monitor...
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    dazza12 wrote:
    mpatts wrote:

I'm having difficulty reading the rest of the forum, now that I've just sprayed half my tea over my monitor...

I rather felt like this just having put it on, let alone anything else. It does have that squirmy feeling when freshly applied... :twisted:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Up until June this year I never used chamois cream. I bought some "just in case" for going to the alps in June wher I was expecting it to be hotter and the chances of sweat rash to be higher.

I used it on all the alp rides and now use it on any ride over 20 miles.

I didn't expect there to be much of a benefit but I was wrong. Much more comfortable.

Just be careful you don't start blowing bubbles though!!
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Thanks guys, will stay away from beans and currys before riding...

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    Do you apply it direct to skin or spread it all over the pad inside your shorts?!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    DM222 wrote:
    Do you apply it direct to skin or spread it all over the pad inside your shorts?!

skin - as mentioned earlier.
  • DM222
    Imposter wrote:
    DM222 wrote:

Doh!

Never used it before but I'm doing the Bristol-London ride this Sunday so might get some tomorrow as it's 117 miles! Do you just apply a little or liberally shlack it all over!?!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    So which product are we recommending?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Assos is the creme de la creme ( pun intended) and slather it liberally on the undercarriage especially the sit bones.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Any decent alternatives to Assos? I used to use it but stopped buying when it brought out a nasty rash that required a particularly embarassing visit to the doctors....

Since then I've tried Keywin which is about a 7/10, but my LBS had run out last time I needed some so I'm currently on Morgan Blue which isn't impressing me...
  • DM222
    Can you get away with E45 etc?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Imposter wrote:
    DM222 wrote:

I always spread on bibs. Works for me.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you spread it around your shorts, be careful not to get it on your old man..... :|

PP
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Assos ....
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I use it on rides over 75mi+.

Apply direct to the skin as there's only a couple of places where i know it's beneficial.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    DM222 wrote:

E45 and Sudocrem are designed to be absorbed and soften the skin. Chamois cream is a lubricant which is a different thing altogether.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    DM222 wrote:

I don't see why not, I use an 89p nappy rash cream from Savers....does the job
  • DM222
    blackhands wrote:
    DM222 wrote:

E45 and Sudocrem are designed to be absorbed and soften the skin. Chamois cream is a lubricant which is a different thing altogether.

Thanks
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I find sudocrem is better applied post ride, after a shower, on any bits of red, sore, or abraded skin! :(

PP
  • DM222
    I bought some chamois creme for last weekends bristol to London ride (117 miles). I'm not sure it helped or not but certainly don't think it transformed my ride!
  • mpatts wrote:
    Anything over 50 miles.

+1

I am very careful where I apply it due to this. One trick I have learnt with this stuff is that if you stand up after about an hour of riding and let the air / wind actually in, the cooling feeling is bliss. I find you do have to spread your knees for this and looks very odd to my fellow club memebers. I usually peel off to the back before pretending I am on a horse!
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Any decent alternatives to Assos? I used to use it but stopped buying when it brought out a nasty rash that required a particularly embarassing visit to the doctors....

Since then I've tried Keywin which is about a 7/10, but my LBS had run out last time I needed some so I'm currently on Morgan Blue which isn't impressing me...

I use the Chapeau stuff (non menthol). I have no urge to have a tingly undercarriage and find that this stuff works great.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    DM222 wrote:
    I bought some chamois creme for last weekends bristol to London ride (117 miles). I'm not sure it helped or not but certainly don't think it transformed my ride!

Did the same ride (ish - I actually did Bath to London option) with no creme whatsoever and had no problems whatsoever - I guess I am lucky.