Pashley v Bobbin and newbie advice

Lana843
Lana843 Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Sorry I originally posted this in the Road section - sorry if it's still in the wrong place!

Hi everyone

Until this summer I hadn't cycled since a teen. I've been borrowing my daughter's bike most days and also hired one on holiday and I've fallen in love with cycling. So I've been thinking about getting a bike and I'm attracted to the Bobbin Brownie or Pashley Penny. I'd use it to go to the city centre for work (20 mins away I reckon) and around the park - I don't need to go fast! The price difference is £230 and I'm wondering if anyone here knows the models as the specs are going over my head so I'm not sure if the Pashley is worth the extra. They're both 13kg. The Pashley has 5 gears, no rack on the back. The Bobbin has 7 gears and a rack.

I know there are lots of similar brands but Evans is my closest shop so I've only looked at their stock. I'm hoping to call in over the weekend for a look.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bob ... e-ec037611
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pas ... e-ec033468

Also, I must admit that I have been cycling on the pavement until I reach a cycle path. Is it worth going on a bikeability course or should I just "man up" as my daughter would say?

Many, many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Sorry cant help you with the bikes though I'd always advise that you test ride both. Evans are good for that, then you'll know what you like riding the best.

As to the bikeability yep go for it, more people should do it, it'll give you a lot more confidence for those occasions when you need to go out on the road
  • Not exactly the same bike, but my wife has a Pashley Princess Sov.

Pros: Very practical for round town, shopping, etc. Enclosed chain guard (but see also cons). Hamax baby seat works well for the pre-school run. Looks (subjective).

Cons: Very heavy. Doesn't do hills at all well. A real pain to clean and oil the chain.

She can live with the cons since she has road and mountain bikes as well, and uses the Pashley every day.

For that style of bike I would also have a look at Fahrrad Manufaktur T100. Great all-round everyday bike, albeit a little more expensive. Bike Fix sell them. Or one of the Dutch Bike models.

Re confidence. I haven't done Bikeability, but if you feel you need to get some basic road skills and confidence then that would seem a good idea. Or find someone you trust with a lot of experience to go out with you a few times. Also, many places have informal bike groups (not racing clubs, etc). Try looking at/posting on the CTC site (also suggest joining since it gives you free 3rd party insurance and the discounts available easily pay for the membership).

You'll get confident before you know it.