Shorts & Helmet?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm pretty much a MTB newbie and now starting to take out my MTB more and could do with a bit of padding on the old rear end :lol:

What shorts do you all recommend? I have done a bit of searching and the Endura Hummvee's have come up a few times, currently £43 here - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... prod40476#

Are these ok? Don't really want to spend much more than that on some shorts. Not sure weather cheaper ones are worth it?

I'm also thinking I better get my self a helmet.......... any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Just got some . Wish I had done so sooner. Liner is great . Watch sizing ,my waist about a 35 inch tried some on and went for extra large .
    In most respects helmet standards are much of a muchness unless you are a downhill adrenaline junky . Go for fit and air vents .
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I have two pair of humvees, brilliant shorts, but as stated, get a size up, though I never wear the liner, bib shorts for me.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You can't go wrong with the Hummvee's mine have been great and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

Helmet's are a very personal choice, it's best to try few and see what you like, I use a Met Terra and a Giro Transfer
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I have a pair of 3/4 Humvees - great shorts (I have a full length pair of Humvees too, but they're too warm for summer use). Helmet-wise I'm using a Specialized Align, which is a real bargain (if it fits you right).
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I tend to wear lyrca padded shorts underneath & then some other riding shorts over the top - saves looking for a padded liner each time around.

Helmets - whatever fits. But treat them as a disposable item so little point spend £60+ plus if you can't afford to replace when you have a knock on it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ty--38165/