Rack for a Boardman Hybrid Team 2009

Spugnut
Spugnut Posts: 128
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
Recommendations please!

I've just become the new owner of this snappy little hybrid after grabbing it for a bargain on the eBay.

IMG_1616.jpg

After removing an astonishing amount of greasy crud from the drivetrain and removing some light surface corrosion from various fasteners and what have you it's come up very nicely. The process of making it mine, and more importantly more practical, has begun and a Charge Spoon saddle and Ergon grips have gone on, mudguards are on the way and next on the list is a rear rack.

These are the mounts on the rear triangle. Not sure if they are standard or not.

IMG_1620.jpg

What do people recommend? This is the first "sensible" bike I've had and racks are a mystery to me. Prices appear to vary wildly and I'm not looking to spend a huge amount.
Happy trails.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Because of the disc mount on the seat stay you'll have to go for a rack suitable for discs.

Tortec get the thumbs up from me and they do an add-on kit for their epic rack to fit on a bike with discs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Looks ok. How much did you get it for?

+1 for the Tortec disc specific rack.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    dilemna wrote:
    Looks ok. How much did you get it for?

£230. After a little TLC that's looking like a bargain price to me.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Tortec racks.

Any other recommendations gratefully accepted.
    Happy trails.
  • I got the same bike for the same price couple weeks ago. Mine needs some more TLC including change of bottom bracket, brake pads + oil bleed and probably new back wheel. I am thinking of what mudguards to get on it. Which ones did you go for and are you happy about them?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Spugnut hasn't been on here for nearly a year (last logon 1/11/13) i doubt you'll get a reply!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You are right, I probably won't get a reply from him but perhaps someone else might write their experience. You never know, thanks to better searching engines old dead threads often become resurrected.
  • Keeping in line with the original thread I got one of these racks for my boardman hybrid http://www.topeak.com/products/racks/supertouristdxtubularrack_disc and there is a kind of a mud guard on it which protects me enough from the wet that I havent bothered with getting any separate ones. Admittedly, if I didnt get changed at work, Id need mudguards - but it is fine for my purposes without them.