Newbie advice

reeseavery
reeseavery Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all , after years of riding mountain bikes on and off road i have now succumbed to a Moda echo road bike courtesy of a cyclescheme. My questions i guess are, being used to fat tyres and even though i have a carbon frame i find myself clinging on for dear life when going over minor holes in the road .How do you adjust to the rattling that would get eaten up by big mountain bike wheels and plush front suspension.
I also find myself quite nervous as its so 'narrow' ,what would the more experienced riders recommend for me to get used to the different style of riding. I know its mostly practise but a particular downhill i would normally spin like crazy down feels me with trepidation as the brakes are obviously not the power stoppers of my lapierre zesty ,are there tips for going downhill and braking etc . I want to enjoy my bike and i love the initial power burst but standing up on it makes me feel like i have just learnt to ride again.
Finally in the hope that some of you know Kent ( tunbridge wells ,sevenoaks way ) can anyone suggest some websites that have routes or suggest some routes that i can do that are more back roads ( safer ) until im more confident in myself .
Many thx to those who reply .

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    For road bike read sports car = harder ride/more speed. You will get used to it just ride it as often as possible on flatter routes until you get the feel of it which won't take long. As for hills a lot of people take time to get used to fast descents so you're not on your own.
  • Have a think about joining a club as there are millions down here these days (e.g. Sevenoaks Tri people always seem friendly). Would be a great way of learning all the local back roads. As you're new to the road I'd try and find a largish club with a number of different speed groups to ease you into it.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Loads of places to get new routes- have a look at ridewithGPS.com, Strava, endomondo, mapmyride - cycle-route.com .etc.
  • For downhill braking, brake from the drops, it makes a massive difference.