City/Canal Path Tyres.

Jomox
Jomox Posts: 250
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm after some tyres for city, canal paths and some grass, main priority is good rolling resistance and grip, will be going on a XC bike, allot of climbing and flats/downhills.

Was looking at the Continental Touring Plus but not sure how good they are, can't find many/any reviews? (CRC changed their site for example)

Don't want to break the bank. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Any cheap slick will do the job. Grip isn't going to be an issue.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look for Schwalbe City Jets on Ebay. £20 a pair
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    26" or 29"? I run 700c x 38 specialized infinity on my 29er for commuting.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Jomox
    Thanks for the replies. For 26" sorry.
    cooldad wrote:
    Look for Schwalbe City Jets on Ebay. £20 a pair

Liking the price of these and seem good but I'm a bit worried using full slicks on the canal paths, and sometimes I'll be riding next to the river, so more looser mud. I do see the high benefits of full slicks on road, and I'd love just that, but I like to push it down the canal and river and would be worried about losing grip when I need it, thus I'd be taking it more easy if In my tests I feel I cant push enough before I start to lose grip.

I'm uming and arging about the City Jets and CX Comps, anyone have any experience with the CX comps on the road?

Using Racing Ralph EVO 2.4 at the moment, but just moved back to city so they dragging allot on the road, great when get of it though and what I liked about them when was in the countryside, and be sticking them back on the bike when needed.

Will CX Comps 2.0 offer allot better performance on the road compared to the Ralph 2.4?
  • cooldad
    If you want some tread at £6 a tyre worth a go
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Fol ... 1e7df884ab

Or £7 odd.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-X-1-95-ROA ... 41759cdbc3

But I use slicks on a bike I use when I'm being a responsible adult for a school MTB club as there's often quite a bit of road and canal paths, and while it can get a bit sketchy, I can still beat most of the kids, mud or not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jomox
    cooldad wrote:
    If you want some tread at £6 a tyre worth a go
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Fol ... 1e7df884ab

Or £7 odd.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-X-1-95-ROA ... 41759cdbc3

But I use slicks on a bike I use when I'm being a responsible adult for a school MTB club as there's often quite a bit of road and canal paths, and while it can get a bit sketchy, I can still beat most of the kids, mud or not.

Thanks, have bad experience with cheap tyres though in past, punctures, and other low performance features, has to be quality. I'm quite heavy also, so when pushing it can be easy for me to damage a tyre if they not up to it when hitting something not seen. (Glass or whatever)

I just went with the CX Comp 2.0, hopefully they will do the job okay, will report back see how they are. Was going to pay £23 for a pair but decided spending a touch more for Kevlar.

Would love to go pure slicks, but just get a feeling will need a bit more when off the road, as I do like to push things to the limit and go as quick as possible, thus feel would have to slow down eventually on pure slicks in those situations.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I can still beat most of the kids, mud or not.
    Is that still legal? Beating kids?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

so long as you don't leave a mark :|
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

so long as you don't leave a mark :|
    I have whacked a couple of them on the head (obviously no marks as they have helmets) for doing something particularly stupid.
    The teacher turns a blind eye - I assume he'd love to do the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    The Missus has Schwalbe Land Cruisers on her bike and no problems on yesterday's ride which included 30 miles of tow path. Available on eBay for £18 the pair.
    1-PAIR-OF-Schwalbe-Land-Cruiser-MTB-Cycle-Bike-Tyres
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Jomox
    Batmo wrote:
    The Missus has Schwalbe Land Cruisers on her bike and no problems on yesterday's ride which included 30 miles of tow path. Available on eBay for £18 the pair.
    1-PAIR-OF-Schwalbe-Land-Cruiser-MTB-Cycle-Bike-Tyres

Cheers, but got Racing Ralphs for similar purpose, just awaiting delivery now hopefully CX Comps turn up today for some testing.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Marathon plus if you're inner city towpaths
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what about schwalbe furious freds these look to work well on road and off road canal paths, I've seen a few on bikes here in the work bike racks.

I'm using off road tyres on my bike that i ride to work on not too draggy but definitely needed on the trans penine trail track i ride on the way back.

Are racing ralph evo pacestar not great on roads then as i thought the short tread pattern wouldn't slow it down same with rapid robs ?
  • Jomox
    I got the CX Comp 2.0 installed yesterday, nice and easy to install, unlike the racing ralphs. Make a hell of a difference on road especially (Over the Racing Ralph EVO 2.4, which just drag awfully on road, and lack grip there, naturally though)

They roll really well on road being semi slick, not like a slick but makes allot of different around on the road and offer a good amount of grip, get up to speed much quicker and they keep wanting to roll. I tested them by river and canal also, on looser stuff and they do well there. Had a moment when pushing them see how far they could go, just a big slide and correction needed on loose stuff, but was pushing it, may of found their limits there but won't need to go that far normally unless it's for fun.

So I'm happy with their performance overall for now, just have to see how good they will be with punctures over time and wear. Certainty could not have gone pure slicks because the looser stuff would just slow me down and potentially wear them down much quicker when hitting some of the rougher stuff next to the canal and river.
    swod1 wrote:

Are racing ralph evo pacestar not great on roads then as i thought the short tread pattern wouldn't slow it down same with rapid robs ?

For me they are not good on roads at all, they just drag and lack grip, but they are 2.4 also, so a bit wide for roads anyway, would be better with them in smaller size. Favorite tyre when hitting trails though (If not to wet and muddy) they just excel there.