Right SPD Loose - How to Fix?

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I bought a set of SPD shoes and pedals earlier this year, and over the past few weeks have started experiencing the right foot creating a grinding noise whilst riding. The noise is quickly stopped by twisting my foot slightly on the pedal. This evening, I have just been testing it out and noticed that there is an awful lot more play from side to side on the right pedal than the left - I can easily rotate my foot about 30 degrees in both directions whilst remaining clipped in. I have tried tightening the pedals to the max, and whilst this makes it harder to unclip, there is still a lot of side to side movement.

I have also tightened the bolts attaching the cleat to the shoe as tight as possible, and the problem still persists.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve this? Both pedals and shoes were bought at the same time and are around 5 months old. They have done maybe 700 miles.

Many thanks, Luke
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If you hold the shoes upside down, side by side does the cleat on the right shoe look more worn than the left?
  • If you hold the shoes upside down, side by side does the cleat on the right shoe look more worn than the left?

Nope, they both look the same. Both are obviously scratched, but other than that they appear the same as new.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cleat moving on shoe?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Cleat moving on shoe?

'Fraid not. I've tightened the cleats as much as possible on the shoe, and tried moving them with as much force as possible - not budging.
  • The Rookie
    Tightening the preload on the pedal won't fix it - ever.

Either it's the cleat in the pedal (one or both is worn - never had that on a Shimano and one set of pedals has 3500 miles on them, my cleats well over 4000 as they are used in 2 different pedals) or cleat in shoe, try clipping it in with your foot not in the shoe and watching it from below.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try the shoes in the opposite pedal. If the play moves to the other side the cleat is at fault. If the play stay on the right then the pedal is at fault.
  • andyc-43
    andyc-43 Posts: 44
    I've noticed a similar thing with my left shoe. Its the foot i always unclip when stopping so just put it down to more wear on the cleat.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Worn pedal bearings
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Enough play for 30 degrees? Really? Not a chance!