First Commute Today

Lee540
Lee540 Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Did my first cycle to work commute today on my brand new cycle scheme Merida. Work is 11 miles away and it took me around 35 minutes, I'm brand new to cycling and definately not bike fit! :lol: Well.. yet!

I fear the ride home might take a little longer?! How far to people on here cycle to work?

Need to get myself a trip computer so I can try and be more consistance with my pedalling and average speed.

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hi Lee

Loads of us ride to work - you'll find a fair few more in the commuter section ... ;) Mine is 11 miles too, takes me ~35 mins too... but it's not flat ...
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Just 4k each way here, but still love it.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    edited August 2013
    11 Miles commute in 35 minutes is decent speed in city traffic :D

Mine is 5 miles ish which I do in about 20 minutes although my record is 18 min - depends on the traffic lights mostly.

I do extend that though - I have 'indirect' commutes that are 10 miles, 16 miles, 26 miles and 33 miles - depending on how I feel and how early I want to get up/leave work.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    My commute is 12miles in the car, but I rarely do that short a route on the bike. Don't really get much other time to ride so my commutes are my rides really, so my commutes (now) are generally 20-30miles - and not even remotely flat - usually 1,500-2,500ft of climb.

Enjoy riding to work - and tell your boss that people who cycle to work are reported to have a better attitude, be more alert and more productive!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Lee540
    Lee540 Posts: 22
    I live in Cornwall so as you can imagine, no where is flat but like to think that the route I've chosen is probably the easiest for a newbie dispite being about 2 miles longer than the route I'd take in the car.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    16.5 miles from home to work. hilly. takes me an hour :D

keep at it, whatever the weather, and your average speed will increase in no time. recovery after biking gets quicker as well the more you bike.
  • 6 miles and takes 19mins. Best thing is that it takes 30mins by car due to indirect route and traffic.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    6 miles and takes 19mins. Best thing is that it takes 30mins by car due to indirect route and traffic.

Similar for me, its downhill generally on the way in and 15-20mins then uphill on the way back and 20-25mins, car/bus take an age from Leeds city centre, try to avoid doing it but I reckon double the time
  • Totem
    Totem Posts: 25
    19.5 miles for me, takes about an hour and 10 mins.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Lee540 wrote:
    Hi all,

Did my first cycle to work commute today on my brand new cycle scheme Merida. Work is 11 miles away and it took me around 35 minutes, I'm brand new to cycling and definitely not bike fit! :lol: Well.. yet!
    Eh - 11 miles in 35 minutes for a commute averaging nearly 19 mph is pretty fast, especially for a beginner. I suspect you must already be quite fit.

I commute 18 miles each way a couple of times a week. I'm in my mid-50s and not very fit, and I don't use my best bike to commute, so I'm not very fast at all - but I don't really mind as long as I get there and get home again safely.