Trails by train

siancara
siancara Posts: 29
edited August 2013 in Routes
Are there any UK trails that are cycle-able distance from a train station? I can't drive so am very limited as to where I can get to...

Comments

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Edale in the peaks. Mansfield for Sherwood pines. Cannock for Cannock chase
  • Yorkshire dales : settle, kirkby stephen, horton etc'. Natural stuff, not trail centres.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    Marin Trail is a mile or so from Llanrwst station.

There's a bus that goes from Betws y Coed station to Penmachno which will carry bikes. I've never tried it though.

Llandegla forest is 6-7 miles from Wrexham (mostly uphill :mrgreen: ) and there are some quieter routes up there that avoid the main road.

Long Mynd is at Church Stretton. The trail map shows where the actual trails are relative to the station.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cwmcarn is less than a mile from cross keys station, just take the valley line up from newport
  • siancara
    siancara Posts: 29
    Thanks for the replies! Think I'll check out cwmcarn next time I'm home
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Cannock is only a mile or so from a couple of stations

Edit: though neither of them is Cannock funnily enough :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    From Windermere station to Grizedale forest trail via the Bowness Ferry is about 7 or 8 miles. Its a lovely ride and there are a couple of offroad sections from the ferry to Grizedale to make it an even better ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Down south Swinley and Surrey hills are both very easy by train.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    The Windermere branch is really good. Many many routes from Windermere and Staveley stations. Ambleside is only about 20minutes ride up the road from Windermere too.

A good ride is Stavely - Kentmere- Garburn Pass - Troutbeck - Jenkin Cragg - Ambleside - Loughrigg Fell - Iron Keld - Loughrigg Terrace - Ambleside - Windermere
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    compo wrote:
    The Windermere branch is really good. Many many routes from Windermere and Staveley stations. Ambleside is only about 20minutes ride up the road from Windermere too.

This^^^^ but dont go on a sunny weekend it can all get very crowded. Mid week is the best time.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap