Wet weather cycling kit

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
So, following on from today's conditions and the Gabba thread, what is the best way to stay dryish on those days when you look out the window and its persisting it down? Gabba long sleeve? Is this ok year round varying base layers to conditions? What about the bottom half? Are there any lightweight tights that do the same? Also are there any overshoes that actually work? Mine don't.

And don't suggest not cycling! ;)
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I just got wet.

My skin has been proven to be 100% waterproof 100% of the time. As long as I am warm, I can live with wet, but i'll take suggestions on overshoes....

PX ones are fine for the cold - rubbish for the wet.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    rubertoe wrote:
    I just got wet.

My skin has been proven to be 100% waterproof 100% of the time. As long as I am warm, I can live with wet, but i'll take suggestions on overshoes....

PX ones are fine for the cold - rubbish for the wet.

Probably a good point. Once I was up and running I wasn't all that bothered. All apart from my wet feet! So winter may be different.

Overshoes and cooler weather clothing suggestions then! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Its not about staying dry its all about staying warm.
    So provided its not actually freezing cold as well I generally wear pretty much the same kit in fact some times even less.

That way I'll dry out quicker, my one concession being shoes, if its wet I'll wear and older pair.

Oh and MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    the problem with getting wet is that your kit doesn't dry out in time for the ride back home ! getting into soggy socks, bibs and jerseys is a PITA.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    for god sakes dont buy endura overshoes, they are as useful as a fart in a space suit
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    its impossible to stay completely dry from rain and not get drenched from internal sweat so accept some dampness.
    most useful stuff IME:
    1. Mudguards with a spray flap on the front- nothing is worse than getting your face, feet and arse sprayed with filthy road muck
    2. Jacket with a high collar to stop water going down your neck
    3. good gloves because cold hands = misery
    4. Overshoes - neoprene ones are the best because even if you wet get wet they still keep them insulated. Overshoes only really protect from the top because the sole is open to expose the cleat, if you haven't got guards then water gets sprayed up from the front tyre and will soak them from the bottom up
    5. Personally I'm less bothered by wet legs as long as they are warm and my arse isn't soaked but have some cheap overtrousers for when it's really hammering down.

and yes, just vary your stuff depending on temp and rainfall.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    fat_tail wrote:
    the problem with getting wet is that your kit doesn't dry out in time for the ride back home ! getting into soggy socks, bibs and jerseys is a PITA.

I always have a fresh pair of socks for the return home, it is not like they are heavy to carry. If it's raining but warm then I just get my normal jersey and bibshorts wet, but as above waterproof overshoes are a must. I can hang my jersey and bibshorts up through the day and they will be dry but wet shoes will still be damp. Only when its wet and cold do I start wearing my coat and possibly waterproof over-pants.
  • menthel
    Probs should get mudguards fitted. I really don't fancy the struggle with SKS ones though.

I have BBB neoprene overshoes. They are poop. What brand do people use that works?
    RIP commute...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:
    Probs should get mudguards fitted. I really don't fancy the struggle with SKS ones though.

I have BBB neoprene overshoes. They are poop. What brand do people use that works?

SKS ones rock, unless you fancy going down the full Alu route with Honjo or similar. Nothing else is really worth it.

I use BBB overshoes and they are the best I've had. I've got the Ultraflex ones and the Arctic Conditions ones.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • menthel
    Asprilla wrote:
    menthel wrote:

SKS ones rock, unless you fancy going down the full Alu route with Honjo or similar. Nothing else is really worth it.

I use BBB overshoes and they are the best I've had. I've got the Ultraflex ones and the Arctic Conditions ones.

Thanks. Looks like I will have to do the SKS struggle. As for the BBB, I have waterflex, the name seems to indicate that they are very flexible at letting water in.
    RIP commute...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The best thing you can do is add full mudguards.

Then its a case of stay warm. When it gets colder its all about keeping the feet, hands and torso warm, the legs will look after themselves. Full guards keep spray off your legs which in turn stops water running into your shoes. It's entirely possible with guards + overshoes to keep your feet dry in a storm.

Other things I've learnt over the years:
    Don't use waterproof jackets, windproof every time.
    Sealskinz socks are not worth it
    Winter boots are not as good as overshoes + good socks
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The few rain encounters I've had in the last few weeks have seen me wearing the same shorts and SS top I wear when it was sunny cause it was too warm for a jacket etc, luckily the rain has been on the way home so I can get home and dump the wet stuff in the washing machine and get the newspaper out for the shoes which I had to blag off my Dad as I don't read a newspaper.
    For the wet rides I have an Altura Nevis jacket and LS jersey or armwarmers, cycling cap for under the helmet. Sealskin socks and take a little longer on the ride.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcow007
    woolie boolie socks in the cold are awesome....
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mudcow007 wrote:
    woolie boolie socks are awesome....

FTFY
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    mudcow007 wrote:
    for god sakes dont buy endura overshoes, they are as useful as a fart in a space suit
    You'd think if any company would make good cold & wet weather gear it would be a Scottish one :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use MW80s myself - great for wet / cold wet & cold weather. surely cheaper than shoes and overshoes?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I use one of these:

http://ass-savers.com/

Keeps the backside dry.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Re the shoe thing, I've yet to find a combination or shoe, sock and overshoe etc that keep my feet 100% dry all the time. Whatever you do if you ride for long enough in heavy enough rain they will fail and the more water proof they are the more likely they are to fill with water and yuor then stuck with very wet feet.

However my current combination is good for 60 mins in very heavy rain before giving up. This is a pair of Shimano MT71 gore tex shoes, planet X over shoes and most importantly mudguards. It now has to really rain on the commute for my feet to get wet.

The worse thing about wet feet is putting on wet shoes on the commute home or the next morning. Newspaper and airing cupboard deal with the overnight wet shoe issue, and a pair of sealskins socks kept in rucksack deal with the wet shoes for the ride home. Sealskins were useless at keeping feet dry when raining but are great as barrier to wet shoes.

Apart from all that I agree with ITB, less you wear the quick you dry, as proved on group ride to JOG where several people in full wet weather gear got very wet and took ages to dry out, me in jersey and shorts got wet first but dried out first too.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Lusso repel arm and leg warmers are good at repelling the light shower, and seem top retain some warmth when wet too.

Mudguards are a must, I don't understand why people don't use them to commute. A flap addition to the front guard really helps your feet stay drier.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    what's the struggle with SKS guards? All you need is a junior hacksaw with a sharp blade to cut the stays down, the rest is a doddle.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    i have SKS raceblades. The front has been on and straight back off as it rubbed and I was less than impressed with it's 'miles away' fit (and the amount of bending and warping I had to do).

As for legs - I have a pair of the £20 Decathlon overtrousers with built in 'overshoe'. At first glance the 'overshoe' looks like a mere flap, but what I do is stretch the whole thing over my shoes meaning my entire shoe is covered. My feet stay mostly bone dry apart from the times when the 'overshoe' rides up by accident. Doesn't happen too often though.
    classic_400PX_asset_33873748.jpg
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have SKS guard on my Equalibrium 20 (shop fitted) + 28mm GP4Seasons. No rubbing at all
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I like to wear overshoes mainly to keep all the dirt and crud off my feet. They'll keep water out to an extent but if it's torrential you will get wet feet. Better than nothing all the same. Heavy duty neoprene ones also help keep your feet dry in winter. I've had decent ones from Giordana and Descente. Have heard good things about BBB but never tried. Eventually they will fall apart through wear or the zip will break so don't expect a long lifetime if you use them daily.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    If you take the time to fit the SKS Chromoplastics properly instead of assuming the manufacturer can accommodate every frame manufacturer out of the box then they are fantastic. Will keep 90% of spray away from your shoes and bike. Lycra shorts dry out as fast as they get wet and then for heavy rain i use a resistant, not waterproof jacket. The fully waterproof kit is pointless as you get wetter through sweat than rain. Saw a guy at LBG lights this morning with a theme park style rain poncho on. Unless his commute is less than 2 miles he's going to boil inside that thing.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mudcow007
    for those of you who have race blades, how the funk do you keep the front ones mounted on your forks??

i threatened to use jubilee clips on mine, but chickened out (carbon forks)
  • Bustacapp
    edited August 2013
    mudcow007 wrote:
    for those of you who have race blades, how the funk do you keep the front ones mounted on your forks??

I've had to bend the shit out of mine. Can probably get them on properly if I try again. However they will probably be a little skewed due to me not being a skilled pipe bender. SKS should be shot for selling such crap. The rear one went on fine though and does a good job.
    i threatened to use jubilee clips on mine, but chickened out (carbon forks
    What about standard cable ties? One of the joys of owning a £300 Carrera workhorse is that such things don't trouble me much. LOL.
  • Bustacapp
    I just got one of these today for £27

21032-190412122307891847858.jpg
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/dare-2b-rot ... ns-p201335

hoping it's nowhere near as 'boil in the bag' as my £7 b'twin pack-a-mack!!
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    mudcow007 wrote:

Use the bits of rubber and the aero fork adaptors that come with them and they are ace, have done a few thousand miles with them on my bladed carbon forks and no complaints at all.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Saw a local chav this morning wearing a white swing bin liner, good quality one mind it was complete with tie handles.
  • mudcow007
    tetm wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Use the bits of rubber and the aero fork adaptors that come with them and they are ace, have done a few thousand miles with them on my bladed carbon forks and no complaints at all.

even when stretched to the max, they still seemed to wobble an shift all over the place...i even contemplated riveting the swines on, i just leave them off these days