Hybrid biking

Meesha
Meesha Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I started longer, faster rides this year on a hybrid, and it really feels like quite a strain on my legs. Especially trying to keep up with roadies on long rides. Am I training improperly, or is it really bad for the legs to do these rides on a heavier bike. My hybrid is a Trek 7.2, not really high-end. I've never had a road bike, but I'm looking into getting one.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why would it be bad to do it on a heavier bike ?

The hybrid position puts you up in the wind like a sail, so its more air resistance than weight that is the issue.

A road bike would make a big improvement - if hybrid bikes were as fast as road bikes then you'd see them raced in the tour. But you dont.
  • It's not bad for the legs compared to any other bike. But the hybrid is heavier and less aero so you will need more effort for the same distance. I'm not surprised you can't keep up with roadies, you shouldn't really try.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    It's actually good for your legs but way bad for your morale :)
    I would get a road bike.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I've got a Trek 7.5 FX and a road bike - I'm about 10-20% quicker on the road bike. Better work out on the Trek but less fun ;)
  • djm501 wrote:
    I've got a Trek 7.5 FX and a road bike - I'm about 10-20% quicker on the road bike. Better work out on the Trek but less fun ;)

I got a Trek 7.1FX in order to gain fitness and lose weight. But I traded it in for a carbon road bike. I now have to do less work to do the same distance. But it's so much more fun that I do a lot more distance :)
  • Meesha
    Meesha Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies - great to get your perspectives. I did a century with mainly roadies, and kept up for half of it, but I think I used up all my energy, and then was trailing the last half. After awhile, it felt like I was riding a mountain bike into the wind. That was 5 days ago - I've only done some commuting rides since then, and my legs are still achy and tight. I look forward to transitioning to a road bike, but it will take quite some time to get used to it.
  • 100 miles is a long way even on a road bike. Where you may start to tire at 50miles on a hybrid you might get to 65 on a road bike.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    djm501 wrote:

I got a Trek 7.1FX in order to gain fitness and lose weight. But I traded it in for a carbon road bike. I now have to do less work to do the same distance. But it's so much more fun that I do a lot more distance :)

Me too as it happens - I did take the Trek out on a 300 km audax once though - which included the Devil's Staircase (I walked that bit!). Worked fine although the wheel hubs needed 'care and attention' afterwards.