Warning about this advert

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/yeti- ... to-content

This bike was reported stolen, the owner has seen the advert and strongly believes it is his bike (the seller was also very relucant to give out the spec and doesn't know most of it while claiming firstly he built it but then he bought the bike second hand, two conflicting statements, hence no receipt or papers) The owner is taking legal action immediately.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everything on Gumtree is either a BSO or stolen. Well known actual fact.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    Haha, good point, you think a thief would get a bit more inventive.. Clearly as stupid as they look
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I bought one off Gumtree where the owner still had the original documentation from Evans inc receipt and service record, clealry the exception that PROVES your rule then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I bought one off Gumtree where the owner still had the original documentation from Evans inc receipt and service record, clealry the exception that PROVES your rule then!

It was a sweeping stereotype but the kind of bike it is makes it odd, you wouldn't normally sell a custom build Yeti on gumtree then forget the parts
  • The Rookie
    What look like cheap and shitty VP or Wellgo pedals don't sit right either!

I did realise it was a sweeping stereotype!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    They're DMR pedals so not too bad

They thief has also put awful brakes on it and cheap lights to cover it up

I think what Cooldad meant was that not every bike that's stolen is put on gumtree and not every bike on gumtree is stolen but it tends to be the place where stolen bikes are sold
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, all stolen, including the paperwork during the burglary, so the Rookie should get done for handling stolen goods.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    They must have stolen the whole house as well as the address on the Evans receipt was the address I collected it from!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The Rookie wrote:
    They must have stolen the whole house as well as the address on the Evans receipt was the address I collected it from!
    Bloody hell. These bike thieves are getting pretty extreme.
  • ej2320
    Update about the actual theft

The owner has been in contact with a policeman and its being investigated

The police are confident it is the stolen bike due to the unusual similarities in the photos