Are all bikes capable of running 11 speed?

Gazmania1
Gazmania1 Posts: 87
edited August 2013 in Road general
Evening all, wondered if the collective minds of this forum might be able to guide me. I've recently bought a Planet X Ti pro frame and had the lbs build it up with 11 speed Ultegra. For some reason the rear wheel won't sit in the drop outs properly and it's making the wheel rub against the inside of the rear chain stay. I've suddenly thought that perhaps it might be because the bike isn't built to have an 11 speed cassette (the wheel is). So does anyone know whether all modern road bikes are capable of supporting 11 speed as long as the wheel does?

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I would check that the axle is sitting at the bottom of the dropout's properly.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    ^this

11-speed is a smidge wider, as it'll probably be a tighter fit in the dropouts you may need to put weight on the bike to fully seat the wheel before doing up the qr

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11- ... breakdown/

which side is the wheel rubbing on?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • It's rubbing on the left hand side. It actually seems like the chain and derailleur are kind of pulling the wheel forward, so when I push the derailleur forward there's slack in the chain and it sits in the dropouts properly but when I let go and the slack is taken up it pulls forward slightly on the cassette and makes the wheel sit off centre. I've tightened the quick release with the chain slack and the wheel centered so hopefully will make it ok.
  • I was going to suggest putting the chain on the smallest sprocket when you do the quick release up, and this should keep it from moving around while doing it up tight, and after that it should be fine.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    check that there's no play in the hub, if the bearings aren't correctly preloaded it can allow the wheel to twist when the chain is under tension

also, with no tension on the chain is the wheel central? if not then either it's dished incorrectly or the frame is a bit askew
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Yeah, wheel is central with no tension in the chain. Seems to run ok if I tighten wheel with chain slack first. Now to work out why I've had 3 punctures in 120 miles on the rear wheel.....
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    So if the wheel sits central when off the bike I assume it is just rubbing when you're riding? What is the wheel and what are the skewers?

If they are super light skewers, like KCNC or Planet X ti take them off and put on some heavier duty internal cam ones such as shimano, campag etc. which have a greater clamping force. If you have little tyre clearance between the seat stays combined with low clamping force from light weight skewers then it could be allowing the wheel to move around very slightly. If it is that and you want to still use the lightweight skewers then close them on tight then rotate the lever 90 deg to add more clamping force...but if it was me I would get rid.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Also check tyre width. It may be that a wide tyre is compounding the issue if the clearance is already minimal with a narrow tyre...

I changed tubs for Conti Attack and Force (wider rear than front) only to find tha the rear had such little clearance on my TT bike that the tyre just fouled the chain stay. Had to remove it and go back to a 22mm tub....

PP
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    Evening all, wondered if the collective minds of this forum might be able to guide me. I've recently bought a Planet X Ti pro frame and had the lbs build it up with 11 speed Ultegra. For some reason the rear wheel won't sit in the drop outs properly and it's making the wheel rub against the inside of the rear chain stay. I've suddenly thought that perhaps it might be because the bike isn't built to have an 11 speed cassette (the wheel is). So does anyone know whether all modern road bikes are capable of supporting 11 speed as long as the wheel does?
    You accepted the bike from the LBS in this condition after they built it? or have you been fiddling and don't really know what you are up to?