Avid Elixir 7 - feeling spongey

dynebaruk
dynebaruk Posts: 75
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought Elixir 7s about 2-3 months ago and have been riding usually twice a week.

The back brake is now feeling a bit spongey and there's definitely less stopping power there.

The pads are fine. It started to feel this way during a long ride on Sunday.

What's the most likely cause and how do I resolve it?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you lubed anything at the rear?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Need a bleed?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Need shimano?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Last thing I would do is bleed . First check for contamination . Second align pad and rotors loosen brakes at rear caliper , firmly pull brake lever and keep it there then re tighten caliper bolts . 2 to 3 months with nothing wrong then going off like that I doubt you suddenly have air in system . Bleeding could end up causing more probs if not done properly . Do you have lever reach adjustment you can dial in for a firmer feel & more immediate brake resonse ?
  • What do you mean by contamination? I'll try the second thing you said, but there's no reach adjustment.

I would consider if I'd accidentally got lube on it or something like that, but the problem started to become apparent during a ride.
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Sounds to me like you have air in the system, i would suggest bleeding the brake and see if that sorts it out. :)
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    Have you lubed anything at the rear?

what's his sex life got to do with anything :|
  • Contamination , simply something like an over lubed chain or cassette allowing oil to fly around .
  • how does pad contamination make it feel spongy?????

reach adjustment won't make it any less spongy. you'll just get more stopping power before the lever hits the bars. elixir 7's should have reach adjustment, my 5's did, but i had to always run them at the max reach setting, so were pretty pointless anyway.

they're avids, they'll need bleeding, just because they've been fine and nothing has been done to them, doesn't mean anything with avids