threaded steerer tube with threadless stem - possible?

spearmint_wino
spearmint_wino Posts: 109
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Might seem like a crazy idea...

Is it possible to use a threaded steerer with an aheadset/threadless stem i.e. can the stem grip the threads?

Is there another way of converting a threaded steerer to use with an aheadset / threadless e.g. a screw-on shim that takes it up to 1 1/8 diameter?

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't clamp an ahead stem onto a threaded steerer unless you want to land on your face and smash all your teeth.

Best solution is to use a quill/ahead adaptor (Google Deda Quill Adaptor) and use conventional ahead stem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Monty's correct - you absolutely can't clamp on the threads. That's a recipe for new teeth.

You also can't get a screw on adaptor like you say - the only thing you could do is go entirely threaded and then as Monty said get a quill adaptor - that just means you can use a modern stem.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks guys
  • Resurrecting this thread as I've been given a suitable fork with a long long threaded steerer. If I cut it down (removing the threaded part) would there be a problem with using it with the aheadset and aheadstem like a standard threadless steerer?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it would need to be long. If the steerer is 1 1/8inch measured then I can't see it being an issue.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer