Help Need Advice - Just bought 11-32 10 speed Cassette

Privateirony
Privateirony Posts: 44
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ive gone out and bought my self a new rear cassette as the old one was knackered and needed replacing. The only thing is i've bought a 11-32 (http://tinyurl.com/ku7nrch) which, if i am right in thinking will be a little harder to pedal up hill due to having less teeth (smaller cog) in the slower gears?? (please tell me if i am wrong)
Can i off-set this difference by getting a smaller set of chainrings, or would it be simpler just to go out and buy a new cassette and chain and keep this and new chain for less strenuous up-hill challenges?

I am due to go to scotland in the next few weeks and don't want to be having to push my bike up hill due to my ignorance on this!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you had an 11-36 before then yes, you have a slightly taller bottom gear. It would be easier to change to cassette for the right one rather than messing with rings.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    well I don't know what your last cassette was, so I've no idea whether the new ratios are easier or harder. FWIW, have a look at a gear calculator (eg Sheldon Brown) the difference between 32 and 34 is 5%. Just push 5% harder and you'll be fine.
  • Ive gone out and bought my self a new rear cassette as the old one was knackered and needed replacing. The only thing is i've bought a 11-32 (http://tinyurl.com/ku7nrch) which, if i am right in thinking will be a little harder to pedal up hill due to having less teeth (smaller cog) in the slower gears?? (please tell me if i am wrong)
    Can i off-set this difference by getting a smaller set of chainrings, or would it be simpler just to go out and buy a new cassette and chain and keep this and new chain for less strenuous up-hill challenges?

I am due to go to scotland in the next few weeks and don't want to be having to push my bike up hill due to my ignorance on this!

If you have not used it, CRC should exchange for the correct one.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Ive gone out and bought my self a new rear cassette as the old one was knackered and needed replacing. The only thing is i've bought a 11-32 (http://tinyurl.com/ku7nrch) which, if i am right in thinking will be a little harder to pedal up hill due to having less teeth (smaller cog) in the slower gears?? (please tell me if i am wrong)

If you have not used it, CRC should exchange for the correct one.

Yeah... Unfortunately I have used it already
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What chainring sizes do you have?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Good question. I have no idea will have to check later... is there a standard? The bike is pretty much "as is" from when it was built by my lbs in terms of gearing all parts have been replaced like for like where necessary. Oh and bile is a santa cruz heckler if that helps matters
  • craker wrote:
    well I don't know what your last cassette was, so I've no idea whether the new ratios are easier or harder. FWIW, have a look at a gear calculator (eg Sheldon Brown) the difference between 32 and 34 is 5%. Just push 5% harder and you'll be fine.

Love the attitude. .. go hard or go home