Mavic Kysium Elite spoke wrench question

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Is this the correct spoke wrench for Mavic Kysrium Elite 2012's ? :-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod55955

If not can someone please tell me the correct one ?.

thanks once again.

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    That looks like the combined spoke wrench and bearing adjuster. Looks like the correct thing, but my plastic one that came with the wheels also has a separate v-shaped spoke holder to stop the spokes rotating when you twist the nipple.
  • Just to let people know it's the wrong wrench and so is the SW-13 park tool. Make sure you measure the spoke nut pref, with a caliper which is what I should have done in the first place.
    My Ksyrium Elites spoke nut measure 6.4mm so the correct wrench is the SW-12C park tool

http://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-w ... tems-sw-12

I just thought I'd let you all know so you don't order then have to return it ( which I had to do ) :(:(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    Be careful - those Mavic nipples have a habit of being seized. Take the tyres off and soak the nipples in WD40 for ages especially if the wheels are less than new. I snapped the nipple on the spoke on my old Ksyriums on more than one occasion just trying to move them in any direction. Pity, because I just sold a spoke key for the Elites having sold them.
    I am surprised if they are not true - they are bomb proof, unless you are a bit 'big' !!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would apply something like ACF30 or PlusGas before tweaking the nipples on Ksyriums - WD40 is just a light oil with not very good penetrative qualities
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I would apply something like ACF30 or PlusGas before tweaking the nipples on Ksyriums - WD40 is just a light oil with not very good penetrative qualities

You're determined to contradict me Montygod - I know I am just a lightweight in the posting stakes but still...

On the OP: Use a gas welding torch to loosen the nipples.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Monty Dog wrote:

You're determined to contradict me Montygod - I know I am just a lightweight in the posting stakes but still...

On the OP: Use a gas welding torch to loosen the nipples.

Angle grinder does the job better and quicker imho.
  • Worth pointing out that the wheels normally come with two wrenches, one to hold the nipple and one to hold the spoke. If you have a local Mavic dealer the chances are they'll have some spare ones.
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    Just to let people know it's the wrong wrench and so is the SW-13 park tool. Make sure you measure the spoke nut pref, with a caliper which is what I should have done in the first place.
    My Ksyrium Elites spoke nut measure 6.4mm so the correct wrench is the SW-12C park tool

http://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-wrench-for-mavic-r-wheel-systems-sw-12

I just thought I'd let you all know so you don't order then have to return it ( which I had to do ) :(:(

Thanks for the info. But that Park Tool SW12 "fits 7-spline nipples with a 6.4mm outside spline diameter" or "fits the 6-splines of the 9mm OD".
    My Ksyrium Elite nipples are 6-spline, 5-6mm, so looks like neither end will fit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Just to let people know it's the wrong wrench and so is the SW-13 park tool. Make sure you measure the spoke nut pref, with a caliper which is what I should have done in the first place.

http://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-wrench-for-mavic-r-wheel-systems-sw-12

Thanks for the info. But that Park Tool SW12 "fits 7-spline nipples with a 6.4mm outside spline diameter" or "fits the 6-splines of the 9mm OD".
    My Ksyrium Elite nipples are 6-spline, 5-6mm, so looks like neither end will fit.

Which year? The SW 12 fits the recent ones
    left the forum March 2023