Bike for my wife

cleric101
cleric101 Posts: 188
edited September 2013 in Women's cycling forum
My wife is thinking of getting a road bike on her cycle to work scheme. She's previously ridden a specialized tarmac mens 52cm frame which was a good fit for her.

She's asked me to do the shopping for her and trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. She has to use this site to purchase the bike:

http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/vale

I've recommended the Allez to her but she would ideally like something cheaper. The alternative I have suggested is the Caad 8.

There are a lot of bikes on the site cheaper but I'm not really familiar with them as brands so not sure if they would be any good?

My question is- does anybody have any other budget bike suggestions for her?

Thanks

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    a girl in my club rides a cannodale synapse women's 8 2300. She seems like like it. Or maybe the Specialized Dolce Triple.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    My sister has a 2011 Specialized Dolce Elite which has been a nice bike. I have borrowed it twice, and it was fine. She doesn't really do sportives, or multi days, mainly just 1-3 hour rides, with 1000m climbs at 4-12% gradients, and sounds like a steam tractor (I think that is her rather than the bike though ;-))
  • cleric101
    cleric101 Posts: 188
    Thanks for these. I did look at the Dolce for her (not the elite though) but she wouldn't use the triple. Ideally a compact would be good but it's difficult to find female bikes in the price range with a double. Plus, if we spec a male bike for her the spec seems to be higher for the same price!
  • I ride a Giant Avail, which is a lovely bike. It's available in a range of specs, so you should be able to find one within your budget.
  • I've got a Dolce Tripple and it's fine - what about fitting a compact once you get it?
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I ride a Giant Avail, which is a lovely bike. It's available in a range of specs, so you should be able to find one within your budget.

Mrs 77 has an Avail, I agree they are very good bikes :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Thanks very much for the replies. She's settled on a Cannondale Synapse Claris 2014. Found a 2013 model for her to try for size and she loved it.

Thanks again.