Full Sus £2K

Griffo_
Griffo_ Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys!

First time poster but have been lurking a while.

I've come for advice on a full suspension bike and i'm unsure as to what to buy. I have up to £2K to spend and will be riding trails and doing some jumping (only light jumping). I'll mainly be riding the Cannock trails and various other UK trails.

I've been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 7 (or 8 ) and the Trek Remedy 8 (should hopefully be able to knock the price down to £2k).

Was also offered a Cube AMS120 for £1250 but that's a 29" wheel.

Norco Sight 2 or 3 may also be possible options.

Any advice appreciated on these bikes or other bikes that would be suitable :D

Cheers!

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    this is outstanding value

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... -prod81016

take the £650 change from your budget and buy some shimano brakes then you're set
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    But how good is the frame? Its not all about having the best components. It may be good but you wont find out until you have handed over your cash.
    The Trek Fuel or Giant Trance would be ideal. The Remedy is a bit overkill for what you want.
  • ej2320
    I've ridden on and fine it fine, they have good write ups too
  • rockmonkeysc
    ej2320 wrote:
    I've ridden on and fine it fine, they have good write ups too

You can't trust reviews. MBR and MBUK even gave the Specialized hardrock a very good review.
  • ej2320
    I've owned one for a year, no frame issues.... yet
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's not just about strength and build quality. You cant demo one to see how they ride and they aren't particularly common so finding one to get a ride on could be a challenge.
  • ej2320
    True, and to be honest on my next bike I will demo first
    Not because the Vitus was bad, it's great but I'm hitting blacks now and mine was 100mm so It's not really meant for that
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Griffo_ wrote:
    I've been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 7 (or 8 ) and the Trek Remedy 8 (should hopefully be able to knock the price down to £2k).

Cheers!

I rode the Fuel EX 8 and 9 - I liked them a lot. Evans are doing the EX 7 at £1600 currently. Looks great in the white & black option, and doesn't lose out much in spec to the EX 8 (especially with a £700 difference at that reduced price).
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    that trek is a good deal if you can get it in your size. my bro in law bought one of these yesterday.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji ... -prod93930

dam good spec for the cash I thought
  • Griffo_
    Griffo_ Posts: 3
    Griffo_ wrote:

Cheers!

I rode the Fuel EX 8 and 9 - I liked them a lot. Evans are doing the EX 7 at £1600 currently. Looks great in the white & black option, and doesn't lose out much in spec to the EX 8 (especially with a £700 difference at that reduced price).

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far it's really appreciated.

The Fuel EX 8 is on Evans at the moment for £1999. Is it worth the extra £300 or so over the 7? Any thoughts on these VS the Norco bikes?

I think a trip to Evans is in order.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Griffo_ wrote:
    The Fuel EX 8 is on Evans at the moment for £1999. Is it worth the extra £300 or so over the 7? Any thoughts on these VS the Norco bikes?

I think a trip to Evans is in order.

I tried the EX8, Norco Sight 2 SE back to back at Evans Castleford a couple of months back (and have ridden a Fuel EX 9 since). In my inexperienced hands both the EX8 and Sight 2 felt like very nice bikes. The fork on the Norco felt a bit plusher, and it has 10mm more travel at both ends, but the DRCV shock and ABP linkage on the Treks seem to work really well, and they feel like they have more than the 130mm they actually have. To me the Norco felt maybe a little livelier, and easier to pop the front end up (but I can't manual to save my life), but both felt like very competent trailbikes.

Where the Trek seems to score over the Norco (in my opinion) is that it feels like a more refined, polished product - a really nicely built piece of kit. Details like cable routing etc just seem better on the Trek, it looks and feels like what it is - a bike that's been honed and refined over the years into a really well sorted, coherent whole. It may not be the flashiest, most glamorous bike out there, but there's often a lot to be said for evolution over revolution. I did really like the feel of the norco, but when parting with over two grand (and given that both bikes felt really good) I think that the solid build quality, widespread dealer network and better warranty of the trek may probably sway me. It's a really good, solid, trail all rounder.

As for the EX7 v EX8, the differences aren't huge. Unlike many bikes that use the same frame for cheaper and more expensive models the EX7 and EX8 don't. They have the same geometry and materials, but the 7 does without the ISCG mounts and internal cable routing of the 8, and doesn't have cable routing for a stealth dropper post like the 8 has (but you could cable tie it to the external cables on the 7). Apart from that it's compnent spec differences, which are listed here:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... el_ex_7_uk

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... el_ex_8_uk

Both bikes get the same DRCV rear shock, but the 7 doesn't get the DRCV forks (although some would argue that's not a bad thing).

For me, if it was a £700 difference between the £1600 EX7 and a full price EX8 then I think I'd go for the 7, but with the prices at £1600 and £2000 respectively, I'd be tempted toward the 8 (in blue). If you can comfortably afford either then I'd go for the 8, but if it's a stretch then I'd be more than happy with a 7 (in white), and the only thing I'd maybe feel any short term need to change would be the bars.