MTB Gearing

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it possible to use a smaller cassette on the MTB?

For example, replace my XT 10-speed cassette with a 12-28 Shimano 105/Ultegra (10 speed)

Comments

• Why?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes but why?
    Just gives you less range and a lower high gear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Indeed, less range is good for me because right now I only ever use the bottom 3 sprockets of the XT cassette and would like more refined choice around those gears, which is what a lower range cassette gives.

On the other hand (more expensive) I could be better off getting a bigger set of chain rings instead.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But a 12-28 cassette would mean you'd lose the smallest gear on your XT, so totally pointless.

I ran a 12-27 cassette for a while, but it was a massive PITA. Just ended up shifting multiple gears all the time and shifting on the front. Much prefer a double or single chain set with a wider MTB cassette.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats quite a common setup for downhill. I use 11-28 cassette with a 36t chainring
  • njee20 wrote:
    But a 12-28 cassette would mean you'd lose the smallest gear on your XT, so totally pointless.

Sorry, I meant 11-28

On the MTB, I never use the high cassette sprockets, and surprised myself when in Wales on the longer climbs I was sitting in the mid cassette on the granny front.
  • You could get 11,12,13,14,15 instead of 11,13,15,17,19
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you never use the bottom 3 gears, you'd find a better benefit by loosing the granny ring than changing the cassette, maybe even go 1x...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you never use the bottom 3 gears, you'd find a better benefit by loosing the granny ring than changing the cassette, maybe even go 1x...

Sounds about right. Less to maintain and go wrong and all shifting on the cassette.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    njee20 wrote:

Sorry, I meant 11-28

On the MTB, I never use the high cassette sprockets, and surprised myself when in Wales on the longer climbs I was sitting in the mid cassette on the granny front.

Yeah, i did that on one of my mountain bikes as i don't use the last three rings no matter what gradient of hill i'm on. You get finer gradation of gears (smaller jumps) so you can always find the best gear for the gradient your on.

However, there are down sides. You do a lot more shifting and often find yourself pumping the shifters frantically to go from a stiff gear to a light gear when the terrain changes with a longer delay as you get yourself sorted out. For that reason, i use that mountain bike for more steady rolling cross country stuff with long ascents and descents (moors, cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby) rather than more hectic off roading such as the red route round Dalby.

The second thing of note is that you end up cross chaining more as the chain sits a lot closer to the wheel to get the same stiffness of gear as you used to get in the middle of your old 11-32 or 11-34 cassette. I sorted that by putting a bigger granny ring on (26, instead of the usual 22) so that i could keep the front ring reasonably big while maintaining a straight chain line with the bigger teeth on the rear (never needed to use a 22 tooth front ring to get up any hill, so it was no loss).

So, yeah. If non of those caveats bother you, go for it. It makes for a different feel and setup than usual.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    If you like a close ratio cassette then go for it.