Hardtail tyres

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi I’m looking for some new tyres for my cube reaction GTC hardtail id like to give a bit more cushioning to the rear if poss been looking at maxis advantage 2.1 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242553 pair for £33
Pair £33 good price I reckon
My mate has the 2.25 size advantage and its huge, I use to run rapid robs 2.25 and liked there size, then went to x king 2.2 which seem to measure up narrow.

so the question is do the 2.1 measure up to the schwalbe 2.25
Any advice much appreciated
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    bladeone wrote:
    been looking at maxis advantage 2.1 ... Pair £33 good price I reckon

Lots of folks rate the advantage as a rear tyre but less so as a front - currently have mine paired with a Panaracer Fire XC pro (both 2.1")

On my (narrow) rims the Advantage measures 48mm(sidewall to sidewall) x 47mm (height from rim) whereas the panaracer is 46mm x 44mm, so yes the advantage is definitely one of the larger 2.1s out there.
  • bladeone
    Thanks for the info jimothy
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Maxxi Ardents are a good tyre cope with everything except when it get's really really mudy. £35.00 each from nextdaytyres.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you could give a specialized ground control tyre a go on the rear, light and quick rolling a decent size too for a 2.1 tyre
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I like the Ground Control as a tyre but I wouldnt say the 2.1 is a big volume in fact I'd say its pretty small and the Sworks is light but paper thin (split mine on a rock the other day)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I like the Ground Control as a tyre but I wouldnt say the 2.1 is a big volume in fact I'd say its pretty small and the Sworks is light but paper thin (split mine on a rock the other day)

yeah but is there a need for an overly big tyre on the rear unless you was downhilling or something extreme.

I've only seen the 2.1 size in evans where i can get hold of it locally, is there a larger size made 2.3 ?

i've had one fail around the edge of the tyre bead, split around 3 inches not off a rock or anything the tyre just split over time.
  • bladeone
    Cheers for that guys,

a mate runs an ardent he does rate it, ill have to give a bigger tyre a go for myself I was just thinking more of a bit of comfort as the x king seem quite harsh and the rapid robs I had were a nice size but didn't grip in the wet at all.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)