Long or short?

Sambuca
Sambuca Posts: 116
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I've ended up with two frames from a certain English manufacturer, love the bikes but this is more of a geometry question. Frames are identical in stand over and chainstay length but one has a longer toptube and wheelbase,
I'm going to build one light for everyday riding trail etc and one heavier for Scotland/Wales trips.
Question is should I build the longer or shorter frame as the all mountain build?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You should have the same size for both. Whats the difference in length?
  • Sambuca
    One is a prototype frame and isn't really given a size, it is a mixture of a small frame seatube and stand over height etc with a medium length toptube to give more space to move around on the bike. Toptube is 25mm longer from one to the other.
    My thinking was the longer bike would run a shorter stem to retain cockpit size but have a more stable longer wheelbase for trips away...
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Yep longer bike for the gnarlier stuff and shorter stem. Shockingly the protos and subsequent production run was a flaming good idea IMO. Despite my dislike for the brand, this and their options on colours are something I wish more people did.
  • What frames are you refering to? Who's the manufacturer?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I'm guessing it's an Orange 5...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Generally, a longer top tube will give you more stability and better climbing ability; they are usually for XC racing.
  • Sambuca
    Yes is an Orange Five 'Strange'
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    "Long" is for tall people. "Short" is for short people. Which are you?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Sambuca wrote:
    I've ended up with two frames from a certain English manufacturer, love the bikes but this is more of a geometry question. Frames are identical in stand over and chainstay length but one has a longer toptube and wheelbase,
    I'm going to build one light for everyday riding trail etc and one heavier for Scotland/Wales trips.
    Question is should I build the longer or shorter frame as the all mountain build?

Probably depends on component choice (fork length, wheels etc) as much as the frame’s length.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20