Replacing Air Shock to make Hardtail

Grampa
Grampa Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Cannondale Super V with Fox Vanilla air shock. I want to convert it to a hardtail. Is there a suitable piece of metal available or should I just improvise?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not designed for it, so you will likely destroy the bearings/linkages.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Wow that's a retro machine!
    I'd say leave it as it is, and save up to get a modern, cheap hardtail. It will be far lighter than the Canny, and will ride far better to boot.
  • Agree with Mcgee, hey that rimes.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Didn't they have a DH version of the Super V - I had posters of that and a San Andreas on my wall!

**Edit - this was the Cannondale DH bike I was thinking of. Utterly bonkers! There is a good article about the thing here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/cannondale ... -2012.html
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited August 2013
    wormishere wrote:
    Didn't they have a DH version of the Super V - I had posters of that and a San Andreas on my wall!
    Maybe, but if so, it would have been back when DH bikes were basically the same as a good full suss XC bike today, except they weighed twice as much :lol:
    Canondale had some pretty "out there" DH bikes in their time.

Ah, now you've edited it, no, that's not really a super-v!
  • Haha, exactly! You can't really say Cannondale follow the herd! Apparently the fork on the bike above is basically 2 Lefty's bolted together.

I wouldn't be surprised if they thought the more weight the better back then. My friend had one of the orignal Kona Stab Deluxe's with Marzocchi Monster T's - it weighed close to 40lb I think. I seem to remember the Giant ATX1 1's were not exactly light either.