Shimano Dura Ace carbon 1380 wheel - sourcing parts

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I've got a rear dura ace carbon laminate clincher wheel that needs new cones and bearings but the lbs (Shimano Service Centre approved) tells me that the parts are not available as now discontinued. :cry:

The wheels is the older version carbon 1380's. I've had it for about 3 years and is only used from Spring to Autumn so no silly winter weather conditions as the best bike gets tucked away come October! Basically the wheels are now rebadged by Shimano as C24's. These are the 10sp ones.

I've had a look at the internet to see if anywhere has the parts available which are;

hub axle unit: y-3d1 98030
left hand lock nut&cone: y-3d1 98040

Can't really get anywhere though. Anyone have any suggestions before I have to dig deep and buy a whole new bl**dy wheel?! I'm surprised that Shimano have stopped providing spares for a top end wheel so relatively soon. Sigh...........

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    Contact Madison, they're the UK distributor for Shimano.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Do not be surprised if they are discontinued.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Rosebike or Bikediscount sometimes have old Shimano spares. Worth a look.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Is this the 7800 series? The cones should be the same as normal DA 7800 hubs, the balls are balls and once you know the size, you can order them from Simplybearings.
    For spare cones try SJS cycles, they have loads of Shimano spares
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    if its the carbon lam 1380 that will be the DA7850 series.

All DA 10 sp is no longer supported by shimano as they moved to 11sp, so it wouldnt matter if you had a 1yr old DA 7900 C35 carbon tubular, you cant get bits, other than what may be lying around with a dealer.

Have you looked on the swinnertoncycles site? they may have something.
    other wise try cleaning up cones with wet an dry, new bearings and grease, certainly not perfect but better than binning a wheel.
  • smidsy
    mamba80 wrote:
    All DA 10 sp is no longer supported by shimano as they moved to 11sp, so it wouldnt matter if you had a 1yr old DA 7900 C35 carbon tubular, you cant get bits, other than what may be lying around with a dealer

Another quality reason to avoid Shimano factory wheel sets
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    smidsy wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    All DA 10 sp is no longer supported by shimano as they moved to 11sp, so it wouldnt matter if you had a 1yr old DA 7900 C35 carbon tubular, you cant get bits, other than what may be lying around with a dealer

Yes, but cones and balls are the same as used in the Shimano "hand built" DA hubs...
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    Indeed, but the hub is the only part that you can buy and rely on so my comment still stands :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • spent hours on the web..............no joy sourcing the bits.
    Thanks though for all the your suggestions fellas......appreciated.

1. Have a new central heating boiler to pay for tomorrow
    2. my old winter wheels are also 'rip' following inspection; rims cracked around most of the spokes. Gipiemme TDF's...cheap but did a job...... also now mort.
    3. Had to subsequently catch the bus home from work..........someone smelt of p*ss.

Not my week evidently!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If you just need wheels to keep you riding, get some R500s from Ribble. You can keep them for winter when you replace your posh set.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    smidsy wrote:
    I was looking at the OZ Shimano dealer site the other day and was horrified to find that spare rims for some of the DA wheels cost more than a complete new wheel(!). IMO any and all proprietary wheels are best avoided unless of course you're riding the TDF and somebody else is thus buying them for you.
  • smidsy
    This x infinity.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bump for old post. You can use any of the 14mm 135mm shimano axles (and cut off 5mm). I used an XT FH-M785, purchased from sjscycles. The part # is Y-3TG 98030

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-deor ... 8/?geoc=us