Giant Defy mud guards?

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited March 2014 in Road general
I have a Defy 3 in which I have bought Giants own brand Defy specific guards.
I will be looking to fit at the end of next month for the poor weather but I have heard mixed things regarding the fit and what tyres you need for enough clearance?
I have conti GP4000 25 tyres does anyone have first hand experience with these. I don't particularly want to buy 23s as my tyres are brand new.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I don't have any experience with the defy specific guards but...

I run crud catcher roadracer 2 mudguards on my defy 0. Fine with original giant 23mm tyres, not enough clearance on the rear for my 25mm tyres, mine are gp4000 too.

Would be interested to see if you did have clearance tho, would think about changing my mudguards.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I have a defy 3 with the defy guards. Running on 23mm tyres. Plenty of room in them for 25's, no worries there.

As for fitting, all I found were that the instructions were useless. I had to drill out a hole for the clearance slot to attach to the seat tube bracket for the rear guard, as unbelievably, it did not fit.

Large frame, so it's not as if its an obscure size.

Other than that they are good(much better than the crud roadracer mk2 they replaced).

Expect to take at least an hour to work out and instal.

Good luck
  • That's good to hear. I will get LBS to fit them as they look a bit of a nightmare and I have a tendency to over tighten things :-)
    I'm trying to prepare for the winter this year to ensure my gains aren't lost as I've push on a lot since the start if the season and I'm hoping the commuting will help the base and then high intensity turbo to keep the performance
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I'm also on a defy 3 with 25mm tyres and there's no issue. They look ok...ish as far as mudguards go but couldn't wait to get them off ASAP
  • Hmmm... interesting... maybe its time to invest and replace my roadracers then!
  • I have a Defy and run mud guards in winter with Conti Gatorskin 25 mm tyres - never had a problem with them, they fit very well.
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    I've had a few different tyres under my Defy mudguards. Conti GP4Season 28 just about fit but they seem to be a small 28 (about the same as a Michelin 25mm). I've found clearance tighter at the rear than the front and have settled on a GP4S 25mm at the rear and GP4000S 25mm or GP4s 28MM at the front.
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    Am I the only one that has had the Giant mudguards break where the rear mudguard attaches to the brake callipers? I have had 2 sets now, both have only done approx 200 miles and both snapped in the same place (possibly metal fatigue). I spoke to a guy in a bike shop that sells them and he said it was a commmon problem but I've seen nothing about it online so far?

Thanks
  • Thread revival!!!!!
    I have got through winter with mine and I have to admit they are pretty good. Only down side i have had is that there isn't enough support on the top of the tyre and over rough ground it can touch the tyre intermently but this is far better than a wet arse. Clearance is supper tight on the back just by the break calliper.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    Thread revival!!!!!
    I have got through winter with mine and I have to admit they are pretty good. Only down side i have had is that there isn't enough support on the top of the tyre and over rough ground it can touch the tyre intermently but this is far better than a wet ars*. Clearance is supper tight on the back just by the break calliper.

I've a Defy 1 with Giant Specific mudguards. Tyres are Conti GP 4seasons (25's). They are tight but fit. As per other post, over rough road, they rattle and rub. On mucky roads, they accumulated crap under the guard and sounded annoying.
    I was glad to get them off, but they did do the job for the winter months.
    Agree with everything from this other post though.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just fitted these to my defy. Tried to do it myself but found it all too fiddly so got the LBS from which I purchased them to do it. I couldn't believe that the clearance slot that attaches to the seat tube had to have another hole drilled to make it fit. I have gatorskin 23s and and there doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance. Looks pretty good and works ok